Tuesday, June 1, 2010

It's like heaven in a brick building:)

Now to continue on with my mini trip out to Austin to get things situated. On the first day there as you read I got to experience Austin a lot more than usual and found a place to live:) Now onto my second day!

I had been in communication with my new school, Casis (pronounced cuh-sees), since I was hired at the beginning of April. My new kindergarten team picked a date to plan out their upcoming 2010-2011 school year and invited me out to meet with them and learn more about their school year. Throughout the past couple of weeks I had been researching my school to find out more about it. Casis is very different in every way from the school I am at now. It has a lot of parental support and majority of the students come from middle to high class families (where I am at now most are at the poverty level). It will be a very different experience for me and I am so excited to teach in a different atmosphere.

I arrived at the school pretty early so I decided to fill up my gas tank now rather than later. I pulled into the gas station and see that on the big sign it says 2.74 but on the actual gas tank it said 3.09. Well I was not paying over $3 for gas so I drove on. After a couple minutes it didn't seem as though I was getting to a gas station anytime soon so I turned around, drove back, and was prepared to pay $3.09 (I already paid a ton for valet... why not just keep it going). Well I pulled into the other side and that gas pump said 2.74. Then it clicked - they had full service there! 3 guys came out while I was pumping to clean my tires, windshield, and windows, wished me a great day and headed off (didn't even wait around for tip which I probably would've given because I've never been to a full service gas station before!). As I was taking this area in (my school was right across the street) a high school student pulls up in his brand new BMW to the full service area and that was when I knew I was in different area!


Hahaha - I quickly got into my little rental car and drove over into the next plaza to park because I couldn't find the parking lot for my school. As I sat there for 30 minutes (yep.... when I said I was early I meant like 45 minutes early) I watched all of the students and parents pull in and head into the school. From the time I sat there watching them I just could not believe the cars pulling in! Almost every single one was Mercedes, BMW, Hummer, etc. It was nuts! They all headed into the Starbucks right across the street from my school and then off to school (kids too!).

Well after sitting long enough I headed into the office and was greeted by one of my team mates with a HUGE HUG and then her calling to my principal who also greeted me with a hug! What a welcoming feeling:)

I was introduced to everyone in the office and then went down to meet with the rest of the team and I have to say, they could not be more amazing! So friendly, warm, and inviting and willing to answer all of my questions and so interested in getting to know me! We discussed the school and everything till lunchtime, then headed downtown for lunch and I had to head on back to the airport (remember... I didn't make it to the Austin airport so I had to drive all the back to Houston!). I drove the whole way with a huge smile on my face and felt like I could not have made a BETTER decision - what an awesome feeling!!!

I got to the airport in time to attempt to catch the last 2 flights to Charlotte. Well... flying stand-by is obviously not a guarantee and well.... I can guarantee you I did not make it back to Charlotte that night!! I felt so bad because my friends Susan and Joe who were watching Mia had to watch her another night, which they didn't mind but of course I hate putting that burden on them! Then there was my situation of where to sleep? I didn't want to pay for a hotel but did I want to sleep at the airport??

Well ---- lucky me!! Derrick called to tell me that he was given a trip that was flying to Houston then he was flying the plane up to San Antonio that night!!! So I just went over to where he got in from Newark and we went to grab dinner, hung out a bit, and then he piloted the plane up to San Antonio!! That was the first time he ever actually flew the plane with me on it so that was a great experience!!

So, I flew to San Antonio on Friday night, woke up early, flew back to Houston, then sat and finally made it on the 3rd flight out of Houston and got in around 4pm (same time zone mom... still 4pm your time) to Charlotte.

Through the whole last little hiccup I didn't get overly angry or frustrated like I would usually because I just had such a great feeling in me about my move. To make a decision from across the country about a school and a city to live in was a bit nerve racking but now that I know I made an amazing choice - it feels wonderful!! Austin, Texas... HERE I COME!

No comments:

Post a Comment