Sunday, July 4, 2010

Moving day... Derrick and I are still together!

Well the day arrived sooner rather than later! We had to sleep on my futon mattress in my living room (Mia loved that) because my bed was taken apart and all the sheets were washed and packed.

This is my living/dining room right before we started taking things out at 9:00AM. Looks organized and ready to go right... NOT!

We woke up at about 7:30, I got breakfast and coffee and our day began. We headed to the UHaul place around 8:30 in the morning, filled out the paperwork, and headed back to my apartment to begin the day. While we are heading over to the UHaul place Derrick feels the need to finally inform me that "I've never driven one of these before..." awesome... thank you for telling me at the last possible second. Thank god nothing ended up happening! We get back and begin bringing stuff out at 9:05 am (I like to keep track of time so I know how long it took us to pack).

Derrick driving the UHaul for his first time ever!
My bathroom on the morning of.


The truck needed to be back by 3:00 PM or else we were charged outrageous amounts! At this point it is probably 85 degrees outside without a cloud in the sky (meaning without a break of sun at all). We were the only 2 that were able to pack and load that day because it was a Tuesday and everyone else was working! We got the truck packed and loaded by 12:00 PM... 3 hours to go....

My dining room and living room at 12:00PM.

And immediately headed over to the storage facility. At that point it was noon... the sun was blazing... it was reaching a high of 97 degrees... and ... just wait... WE FORGOT WATER! Awesome! So we start unloading the truck to pack the unit and I just start feeling terrible. I wish I would have taken a picture so you could see how wet we were. I just could not get energy, I felt like I was going to throw up, I felt .... like I was dying. Derrick kept yelling at me (well deserved) because he was doing all of the work (true) and I was doing nothing. I just kept taking breaks. I called up my wonderful friend Shauna (who just got married 3 days before and was packing for her honeymoon) and she dropped what she was doing and drove over to bring us water (hope I have friends like her in Austin - they are few and far between!) The water helped but it didn't make me feel that much better because we just couldn't get out of the sun. We finished packing the unit at 2:30 (we packed for 5 1/2 hours in the blazing heat and sun) and then headed to the UHaul place to drop off the truck. Phew... done... wait... NO!!! We still had to pack up the rest of the apartment with the things that were not going into storage and clean! Ughhhh I HATED MY LIFE!! We decided to stop at 8:30 PM and just head on over to my friend's that we are staying at (wonderful Susan and Joe thank you thank you for taking us in!).

My bedroom at 8:00 PM

I didn't have to be out of my apartment till the 30th so I said I would just go back super early in the morning and finish up before I had to work for 10 hours (can I catch a break!?!). So we woke up at 5:30 ... Derrick had to fly back to work... and I headed over to my apartment around 6:30.

My dining room the next day at 7:00 AM.

My 10x10 storage unit - yep things go all the way up to the top! Good job Derrick!

And again... damn you storage unit! Never again will we do this!

I loaded up my car, finished cleaning, drove back to Susan and Joe's to drop off my final load at 8:00, then drove to the storage unit because surprisingly we had extra space so I could load some more things, ran some errands, then went to work from 10-8. Phew. I really was done then! I dropped off my keys and smiled... that was it. I was done. This process that had stressed me out for 2 months was over and I felt like 400000 pounds was lifted off of my shoulders. So this post is for Derrick... I can't believe you didn't break up with me after that moving day. If you ever have to move call him... that boy deserves a round of applause for how hard he worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment