Monday, September 6, 2010

Luck... who really has it because I DO NOT!


Sing-along with me (to the tune of "driving along in my automobile):

"Driving along in my automobile (true),
My baby beside me at the wheel (true),
I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile (not true....)"

MY FREAKING CAR BROKE DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD INSTEAD!!

Alright... now that I have your attention let's back up a little bit! PS... on a side note before I even start I'd like to inform you all of how supportive my mom and sister have been through this ordeal. When they found out what was happening with my car they both actually said "Your blog is going to be so funny... I can't wait". So without further ado....

Last Monday (August 30) morning on my way to school I called my mom to tell her my little "genie in the bottle" light kept lighting up, low fluids or pressure indicator I think is the real name for it but my name is so much cooler. It wasn't on permanently, only when I would come to a stop it would flash then stop. After some talking it was decided to check my oil level (it was fine) and maybe it was a malfunctioning sensor (my genie bottle was going a little crazy!).

Well, I think we were wrong..... That night I had to drive to go get Derrick from the airport. As I was driving whenever it would switch gears it would kind of make a revving sound and then switch. It increasingly got worse and on the drive back from the airport Derrick was driving and as we rounded a curve to enter an on ramp it just revved... and revved... and revved some more. PROBLEMO! Eventually it got into gear and we realized the problem was going from 2nd to 3rd gear. We made it home and actually had to "rev" all the way into a parking spot because at the end my car gave up.... but we did not. I had school the next morning and no one else lives out by me to take me there. Besides... it's a Honda they never die right?

WRONG!

We leave a little earlier to prepare for possibly being able to only go 20 mph the whole way. I'm so smart and opt to take the toll road ($.75 ughhhh the many things I could buy with $.75) to avoid lights and stopping. I can't believe it but we are cruising along doing 60-65 the whole way - GO HONDAS!. We get off at my school exit and slow down big time. It starts revving and we push on. There are little speed bumps along the road and I ask Derrick "uh oh... do you think we will make it over the speed bump?". He says "I don't think we are going to make it up the road let alone the speed bump". Well..... smarty pants Derrick was right. As soon as he said that we started roooolllllling backwards and I jump out and start pushing, at 6:15 in my school clothes I am pushing my car over a speed bump. I get it over and it starts going to so I run to catch up (if you ever think you have a bad morning... ahem Nikki getting chocolate on your white pants... think of me running in heels in the dark chasing my car). I make it in and ask him what he is going to do after dropping me off (at this point my school is just around the corner) and he says he doesn't think he is going to drive it back. Spoke to soon... my car made that decision for him. It stopped luckily just as Derrick was turning it around. Derrick got out, I got behind the wheel, and it was pushed up along the side of the road. Perfect. Well.... now I have to go to school and Derrick has no way to get home. Oh ps... Mia is with us also....

So we head into my school (No Dogs Allowed but at this point I am at a loss). Derrick calls AAA to come tow my car... I call a cab for Derrick. He leaves and is in charge of getting my car towed, setting up a rental car, and possibly searching for a new car for me.

My day goes on, miraculously it was a great day with my class and I am so thankful for that. It also was my double day so I only taught from 8-9:30 then 12-12:30 and 1:15-1:45. All the other times my kids were gone or at lunch:) Derrick got a rental car and drove over to my car and got it started and drove it right across the street into a mechanic place. They call him right back and say "New transmission ... $2400". Ah hell.... Happy Pay Day (yep... first paycheck from teaching since May 31 and this is what I get!?!?!).

Derrick opts for a second opinion and we get it towed to a transmission place. Last picture of my the trusty old silver civic:


The guys says he won't be able to let us know till tomorrow but I had a bad feeling. Straight from there we go to a Honda dealership to get a guesstimate in case I need a car. First place we went to only had red CD-V's (I hate red... especially Honda red) and no used ones. Second place was a Nissan dealership which was where I decided I did not like the Rogue's like I thought I did but instead did like the Xterra's more. The salesman approached me smoking a cigarette... we left... no sale there buddy. We went home, ate, and headed back out to 2 more places. Another Honda place that had a 2008 CR-V that I was seriously contemplating to buy the next day if my transmission was bad, but then found out it was sold. Their new ones were the higher end versions of CR-V's. Last place we went to at 8:45 at night was a Nissan dealership. There was a Murano that the salesman, who I fell in love with by the way, was going to sell me for a great deal. I told him I couldn't buy yet but I'd be back tomorrow if I had to. PS.... don't worry, the salesman was about 75 years old and his name was "Flash"... he was the coolest little old man ever!

The next day we got the call... new transmission... I called and said I'll pass. I'd come get it towed when I get a new one. I wanted to buy a new one that day (Wednesday September 1) because my rental was expensive. There was one more Honda Dealership I had heard good things about... Howdy Honda. Who doesn't want to buy a car from a place with a name like that!?!?! Well I bought one!!! A brand new 2010 black Cr-V with tan interior!

I love it! It is what I have wanted for over 3 years now and although it came at a bad time I love that I was able to get what I wanted and not have to settle for something else. The guy gave me my keys and I looked at him and said "Oh my god... this is it... it's mine?". Yep!!!!! I bought a BRAND NEW car all by myself! Go me:)


It's a great car and if you are ever looking for a small suv this is the way to go! I found out it is built on the accord frame so it rides just like a car because well.... it is a car in some ways! It's very roomy and my favorite feature is when you push on the sunglasses holder half way a little wide angle mirror pops up so you can see the whole backseat.... it's the baby mirror. You can see all of the little babies back there (which Derrick reminded me there are no babies back there... geez I was just sayin'!).

So let's wrap this up and explain why I do not have luck other than finding my car of my dreams (which is lucky).
1. My moving company sucked and although I have gotten back almost $400 I am still owed more and they don't communicate very well... duh
2. My apartment still has fleas along with Mia
3. My toilet flooded the first night here
4. my washer flooded the 5th night here
5. my tub is now clogged terribly and we are patiently waiting for it to be fixed
6. Oh yea... and my car broke down on the side of the road.

But... I did find luck! And I hope it sticks around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment