Sunday, September 19, 2010

Time to get moving!!

Since I have lived here all I ever see is people moving! So many of my friends at school talk about the workout class they are taking, the marathon they are running, or the running trail they are going to try out this weekend. Considering my weekdays usually consist of going to school till about 3:30 then coming home and doing nothing I thought to myself - IT'S TIME TO GET MOVING KATIE! I know they say everything is bigger in Texas and I am very positive that this is because the food here is A) amazingly delicious, B) deep friend and if not C) covered in some kind of cheese or heavy cream sauce. So, in case you were wondering why everything is bigger, that is why, and I refuse to become bigger!

Derrick and I have set up a little work out regime to get back into shape for ourselves and for our upcoming cruise for NY's! We started it 2 weeks ago and here is the breakdown:

Derrick will work out 4 days a week, more than likely swimming, but if not swimming lifting weights. He joined a pool right across the street for me and it is so convenient for him to go there while I am at school.

Because I do not work out nearly as long as Derrick (he works out an hour to an hour and a half a day) I will work out 6 days a week! Miraculously I have found the time to fit it in thus far but the upcoming wedding this week is presenting a problem. Derrick is cutting me no slack so it looks like I will have to take a little run while in Charleston. My workouts consist of:
  • the first week I ran a mile (just to get back into the scheme of things)each day,
  • the second week which I am currently in I am running a little over 2 miles each day,
  • and the 3rd week I will run 3 miles a day.
Once I have completed the 3rd week I plan to start doing at least 1 5K a month (preferably 2 a month since there are SO MANY to pick from. Check out this website and see how many races there are weekly around me! It is crazy how active this city is.
http://www.runtex.com/web/4-2.asp

Another idea we had was for me to go swim with Derrick. We planned for me to go with him this past Friday for the first time. Unfortunately I never thought I would swim again so I threw away my old bathing suits and swim caps during the move. Derrick had to go find a suit for me while I was at school and check out the super cool suit he got me!

We went right after school on Friday which is impressive to say the least that I have energy at the end of a week of teaching, but somehow I do! We only had time to swim for 45 minutes but I did a 1200 which is pretty good I think considering I haven't swam laps in years! (that is 48 laps for those of you not sure). Derrick did more than I did but I hung in there pretty well:) If I go and swim with him that counts as 2 days of working out for me:) I do have to pay $4 every time I go with him so it's not free like running.

I am loving this working out idea though. We are sticking to it really well and I really do have so much energy and I look forward to running after school. I get to clear my head and just jam out to some tunes (I do contemplate running like Phoebe in the one Friends episode but I haven't done it yet). For a quick recap of that little part of Friends click on the link:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU

For Christmas I think my mom is going to get me a bike and then I plan to do mini triathlons or Women's ones which are easier than a standard one. I am an experienced swimmer and now am getting decent at running, so the biking will be my last edition!

So I hope I stick with it. I am doing really well and I have no excuse to not! A lot of times vacations of something comes up and once I stop it's hard to get back into the swing of things but I have nothing coming up that will prevent me from working out! 5K's here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment