Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dog discussion

This is a very random blog but I wanted to share some thoughts/ideas/discoveries with you about dogs.

If you own a dog I think you know that the moment you got him/her your life changed. I know mine did - but in such a great way. And of course, I think that my puppy is the cutest puppy ever and the sweetest (and craziest, most spoiled, rotten, etc). Here are some flashbacks of Mia before I give my opinions and get on my soapbox:)

Mia during the first couple of days that we had her -- already attached to Derrick:) They are best friends and she is OBSESSED with him. She follows him around everywhere he goes, doesn't like to go outside without him, races back in the door when we come back inside to find him instead of getting a treat, and pushes me out of the bed to sleep next to him.

Mia's first grooming:) She looks so precious!

Mia's first Christmas! My mom bought her this little sweatshirt - 'Reindeer in Training'. This was my Christmas card:)


Mia on her birthday. Doesn't she look like she is so proud to be 1??

Okay, now that I'm done bragging about how adorable and silly she is here are a couple things I have discovered about dogs.

1. I hate Frontline Plus. I know hate is a strong word and that is a bold statement but I truly do. I used Frontline Plus for over a year, from the time we got her until we moved to Austin. As soon as we moved here Mia became infested with fleas. We are assuming that the fleas were here when we moved in since we did not bring them with us. We did everything we could think of - flea baths, apple cider vinegar, bombing, professional exterminators, vacuuming daily, washing the sheets and pillows and her toys daily. Then one weekend we watched my friends dog and I prepared them about the fleas. Their dog was here for 5 days, never saw a flea on him and he didn't go home with them either. That's when I started thinking --- hmm.... I started a new box of Frontline when we moved here. Maybe it was a bad box. Also, my mom 's friend suggested using Advantage. She said it works better on fleas and although it doesn't cover ticks, Mia is an indoor dog and gets brushed daily so we can check for them more. Well, I looked up Frontline on the computer and it said "100% one time money back guarantee" as long as you had the lot number and original receipt. Check. So I called and explained my situation and asked for my money back. The lady told me no, I didn't qualify because I didn't follow the directions on the box. I had told her previously that my mom's friend (who is a vet tech) suggested that I put it on every 3 weeks, not 4, because that is the cycle of the flea. So the lady claims that because I didn't follow the directions I was not allowed to have the money back. WHAT!? That makes no sense! I only did that twice and wouldn't you think it would have been more effecting!? It STILL didn't work. I told her, 'okay, forget I said that - now can I have my money back?'. She said no and that they record all conversations so I wouldn't be getting it back even if I called back (she must've had ESP because I was definitely thinking that). BEWARE --- their little advertisement is unfair.

2. I LOVE ADVANTAGE! On a brighter note, Mia's fleas are gone:) In a matter of 2 weeks from applying the Advantage the fleas are gone. Well, let me rephrase that. Mia still has the occasional flea on her, but it moves like molasses and sometimes just falls off of her and is dead. The Advantage works wonders. I cannot believe that after battling for 2 months, after 1 application of Advantage they are dying and gone. I still vacuum and see them in the canister so I know they are still here and that will take a little time to get rid of ALL of them but they are not leaving flea dirt on Mia and cannot survive on her anymore. SWITCH TO ADVANTAGE if you can:) It works miracles and I think they do have a kind that does kill ticks too but I don't use that one.

3. Lastly, if you have a dog and you don't clip coupons - YOU'RE CRAZY!!! You can save SO MUCH money with the dog treat/food coupons. Some of the treats are 4-5 dollars and I average spending 1-1.50 per bag of treats. Mia has so many bags of treats its kind of disgusting. Right now we have 8 opened bags and 9 unopened. I guess I kind of think of her like she is a human (go figure... if you're as crazy about your dog as I am that is no surprise) so I feel that she needs variety. It's kind of an addiction for me... to see how cheap I can get treats. I think the best buy that I have gotten are the Cesar treats that come in the little silver bags - usually 2.98 at Wal Mart and they have $2 off coupons so I get them for .98 and you get 75!! It awesome and they are small and perfect size for a little after-bathroom treat:) I also love to go to Petco and go to their Rawhide bar section and buy a couple different kinds. She doesn't get them often but when she does she LOVES them:)

So there you have it:) Happy Sunday and go buy a Sunday paper for the doggie coupons at least:)

1 comment:

  1. No vet bills = $0.00
    No flea meds = $0.00
    No house bombing = $0.00
    No doggie treats = $0.00
    No rawhide = $0.00
    No dog = priceless

    (And this is from a woman who grew up with a family dog for 20 years.)

    ReplyDelete