Monday, October 4, 2010

House hunting... the beginning

Ah... don't you love looking up houses and dreaming about all of the ways you could make it your own? A little paint here... a little picture there... well I sure do! Derrick and I decided that we would rent an apartment for 7 months and then plan to buy. The time is hot - so why not!?! Well... although our lease isn't up till February I've decided to plan ahead (thank you mother... I also inherited that gene) and start looking! There are so many great areas in the Austin but here a few dilemmas we have run into:

1. The airport isn't in an ideal location for us to live by... but the commute to the airport is kind of not fun so we are trying to work around that

2. I want to be close to my school but well... unfortunately I don't make enough money to live next door to Lance Armstrong (that's right... I'm famous and his kids go to my school.... that makes me famous right?). We are having to look on the outskirts of my school which is still pricey

3. Derrick would like to be near downtown. I on the other hand would not considering it is so much more pricey and we rarely go down there (three times since moving here), although he claims we would go down there more if we lived closer....

4. Derrick says (I can write this stuff because he doesn't read my blog... muahaha) that I have an "image" in my head of the perfect house. He is SO wrong. I just have an idea... lots of ideas.... all of which I am willing to sacrifice if it means I find something better ... like a better idea! But honestly... my major 'wants' are a safe location that I can run and walk Mia in, appliances included, and a minimum of 2 bedrooms for when other people visit (I'd love 2 bathrooms so we wouldn't have to share with guests but see.... I can sacrifice...)

The issue we currently are having is an investment home vs. a home home. I want to buy a home to live in, and decorate, and love. Derrick wants to buy a place to sell in a couple years and make a profit. But again.... I am so awesome and willing to work together that I will agree to an investment if it means I can get my perfect home (not that I have an image or anything) in the future.

So anywho... on the hunt I go. Derrick's not here and I have nothing better to do than look. I have really fallen in love with ... I mean really started looking into... this area called the Arboretum. It has everything which I love! It is super convenient with grocery stores, shopping, restaurants, easy access to the main roads, and walking trails. I love it! So I started looking in the area and there are a lot of townhomes available in the area. Not only are they available but they are pretty awesome (they have everything I WOULD want if I had an idea). Granite countertops, hardwood floors, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, separate shower and garden tub in master bath, tile backsplash in kitchen, stainless steel appliances, a garage for my new car, a fireplace, a huge archway upon entering... okay yep.... I want this one. So bad that on Sunday I brought Mia along to go take a peek and it got even better... it is in a gated community AND across the street from a church. HELLO - God would keep me safe! I have to live here! At first I opted to not tell Derrick because I was afraid he would get mad at me for looking too far into it but I told him... and he said we would definitely have to check out the area. It is closer to school (about a 10 min drive) and closer to the airport (google maps says 20 min v. our current 25-30 but my friends say we could do it closer to 15). And another bonus... it's dropped 15,000 in price already because it needs to sell. Ah c'mon.... I wanna buy it now! Hopefully no one else in the world is looking to move to Austin and no one else finds this place because in a couple months... it will be mine.... not that I have already made plans for the colors of the rooms or anything.... well kind of but nothing is set in stone.

So... that is where I stand right now. On the hunt, but not really, shouldn't really be looking, but I am. Oh well! Might as well enjoy it right?! Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment