Saturday, October 16, 2010

The talks

In a relationship there are many moments for talking. You have to talk about everything to have a great relationship I think. Derrick and I spend a lot of time talking and just hanging out. We own a very small tv but it is not hooked up so I don't even own cable. When he isn't here I catch up on my shows through hulu.com. We drive at least 25 minutes each way to the airport so yet again... more time for talking. And now that the weather is nice we love to take Mia across the street to the lake and walk, and talk... :) Because we are getting ready to make a huge commitment (no not marriage... that's a whole different talk that we don't have which I talk about more in later on.... buying a house/condo commitment) we are doing a lot talking. Each talk has a different title and theme I feel:)


The "what kind of place do you want" talk: house or condo? outskirts or downtown? big or small? Derrick and I continue to have this talk and I think it goes to show that we are still not sure what we want. We have so many different ideas but we have definitely found some great places thus far. I'm excited to see what we find and finally end up buying! I think he has finally got the point that I will not buy a studio or 1 bedroom. To me it just makes no sense.... I want a place that has space. The apartment we are in now is smaller than my old one so many of my boxes I couldn't even unpack:( Outskirts or downtown is very back and forth. Initially I thought downtown was pointless, but the more that we venture down there I realize I was wrong. We do go down there a lot for dinner and/or drinks and I would love to be closer. Hence our next "talk"

The "are you planning on going out every night if we live downtown?" talk: A couple weeks ago we went to dinner downtown and then decided to walk around and see the city at night a little bit more. As we walked we talked about where I could take Mia if we lived down here, where I would run to the store, traffic, and my big question - why? Why do you want to live downtown? Is it to go out all the time because I did not want that. (ps... his answer was no ... shew). Once we talked more I realized that I did like the idea. It is convenient to live downtown actually. Close to my school, closer to the airport, and close to a lot of great places to see and things to do. I'm coming around to the idea and although we wouldn't be able to live centrally downtown I think the outskirts of downtown are looking pretty good:)

The "how will we buy furniture" talk: Furniture is tricky. We need it, but how do you split it up? I know he is sick of moving my bedroom furniture, especially now that it got ruined by my awesome moving company (grrrr I still hate you because I still haven't received all of my money!). I want to keep it of course for a guest room but maybe not the giant dresser that is now lumpy and lopsided. I'd love a new bedroom set eventually to go in a new place:) We also need and want a desk for our computers. Well, it was decided that we wouldn't split the furniture. We would just take turns buying what we needed. And he made it very clear to me that I would not be sharing a desk with him for our computers. He claims that I would "rearrange" everything when he left so his desk will be off limits to me. (puh- leeezzz... he acts like I clean and move everything around when he leaves to a more organized place so it looks better.... okay... I do do that, and so does my mom and my sister! look people, it's our way or the highway when it comes to clutter!)

The talk we are not having - marriage: And no, not because neither of want to be married. A lot of people ask me, 'so, have you talked about marriage yet?' No... we haven't. And no... it doesn't bother me - for many reasons. I for one do not want to have a part in an engagement, if and when it does happen. I do not want to have a clue about anything. Besides that, I just don't find it necessary. I know we have a strong, healthy, and happy relationship and I don't need to have a weekly or monthly discussion about getting married to feel better about it. If we are planning on buying a place together then things are going better than great... end of story:)

So those are the talks we have had thus far. No arguments and really I am enjoying this process with him. I'm hoping it stays fun and laid back:) Because we are in no hurry to buy I think it will! Positive thinking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment