Friday, October 15, 2010

A little ambitious I must say

My life hasn't been too exciting the past couple of weeks so I haven't had much to blog about, but next week should make for an interesting one! We have parent teacher conferences on Monday, which means no kiddos but sometimes I'd rather teach them and be crazy than sit and say the same things over and over again to a different set of parents every 20 minutes. The upside to this is that the parents can stop asking , 'How is ____________ doing really? Are you concerned? Should we be?'. Now they will know:) Don't get me wrong, I will totally be that parent too, but I hope to try my hardest to remember all of the unnecessary conversations and questions from parents that irk me when I have kids!

So, we only have a 4 day teaching week, but also next week is my first field trip with my kids! We are going to a farm and it sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun! I'm expecting a ton of my parents to show up (they don't have to sign up because we know enough will show up to help us out) so I'm excited to not feel so overwhelmed with all of the students!

Then comes my ambitious act next week.... and I hope that I am overly preparing myself and slightly overly stressing myself out about this. I am papier mache-ing (for the first time ever for myself and with my class) with my class of 17 students.... we are going to make pumpkins.

Am I crazy!?! I hope not! One of my rock star moms suggested doing it outside and she is going to come and bring table cloths, giant folding tables, and help out with mache control:) I know the kids will enjoy it so much and I hope this is one memory they take with them forever... so in all reality - do I really care if they go home with it in their hair? Of course not!! We are going to have a blast!! I hope to remember to post pics of the finished pumpkins (without kids of course) so you can see their wonderful, independent, no help from me, papier mache! Who predicts lumpy, lopsided pumpkins??

The students don't know they are doing this huge art project yet so I know they will be uber-excited when they find out. I'm sure I'll hear wonderful questions such as this one I heard last week from my hilarious, favorite little girl when I pulled out paint and just let them go to town, "are you going to rip out your hair and be bald if we spill it?". So funny:) And for those of you wondering... no paint was spilled and even if it was I would very calmly say, 'go get a paper towel and clean it up'. They're 5 (and 3 of them are 6), what can I expect?

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment