Thursday, November 25, 2010

First official hunt!

Yesterday began my first day of Thanksgiving break - and it was wonderful. I woke up early because I went to bed super early - and didn't feel guilty about it at all:) So what if I didn't have to wake up early and still went to bed at 8:15 (which is earlier than I go to bed on a normal school night). I slept till 6:30 and felt fabulous! I have to say that it feels great making a pot of coffee in the morning and being able to enjoy it on your couch:) And it feels even GREATER when you can enjoy the coffee - on your couch - on a WEEKDAY! I swear coffee at home on a weekday tastes so much better than on a weekend:)

I was in contact with our realtor, Chris, the night before and we had set up an appointment to meet in the afternoon to view some condos that we had picked out via our online search. I wanted to check out all of the condos together so I could compare them that same day rather than trying to remember each detail of each one. I had 6 of them picked out and they were all in a great area - close to my school and close to downtown. The first one we went to was so cute and I loved it, but it was super small. The next one we went to was junky on the outside - I took 1 step inside and said "eh, I'm good" and we left. It felt worse than being in an apartment. The next one we went to we actually didn't go into - I spotted some people digging in the dumpster (so much for a great area!!) and the outside porch was smaller than my apartment porch. How could I fit a grill and patio set out on that?? Ugh!! The next one we went to was beautiful inside, but had a motel feel to the outside. It was hard to get to the actual condo and there was no other easier way - you had to walk up a flight of steps, then down a flight of steps to get reach the door. The condo had floor to ceiling windows along the entire back and looked out onto a park which was gorgeous. The actual kitchen though was about as wide and long as my arms length and the living room was on an angle and I just could not figure out how to arrange my furniture. The fifth condo I was excited about because it was almost 1600 sq ft which is so big for a condo! It was also in a cute neighborhood that had a "house" feel to it. Unfortunately... it was taken off the market so I couldn't go see it. The last one had an adorable walk-up entrance but the inside was super small and old. So out of 6 condos --- I chose 0! Since Derrick isn't here as often as me I am kind of doing the "dirty" work but checking out any/most places we like online and then if I like them then he will go back to see them when he comes back.

This was slightly depressing because of the great locations of the places, but the last thing I want is to feel like I still live in an apartment! Tomorrow we have picked out our top 7 houses in south Austin and I hope to find wonderful neighborhoods and maybe even a house (or 2.. or 3) that I want Derrick to see on Monday when he gets a chance to go look while I am at school! Fingers crossed:)

PS --- Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment