Monday, November 15, 2010

Magical - what an amazing word

There are so many things that can be called "magical" and it really does make that thing so much better! Disney World for example is called magical because it makes you feel like a kid again. A wedding can be called magical for is beauty or its memories made. At my school we have a forest that has old playground equipment in it and my class calls it "The Magic Forest" and because of its magical-ness it is such a special treat for us to go there and let our imaginations run wild. The reason why I love this word oh so much is because I was observed last week by my principal for the first time. Now many people get nervous about observations and think that they are unfair, but they have never really bothered me. I love showing off what my class is capable of doing and I love to hear back feed back on ideas or ways to improve. But I will say, being new this year has made me feel as though I have to really be on my A game at all times to prove myself. Although I know I am worthy of this amazing job I still want others to feel the same also. And... being observed by my principal really meant that I wanted her to see me at my best. If you have ever been in the teaching profession though, especially with ump-teen 5 and 6 year olds, planning can only get you so far.... then your real teaching will show. The students will hold nothing back and usually if something wants to go wrong, it will on observation day. I have an amazing class and they are beyond the hardest workers I have ever had. They love to learn, ask to do more, have amazing questions, and are eager to get to work. All of this showed during my observation and my real teaching as able to be seen. I was so happy and pleased with how they did but of course I wondered... did she like it? Was it what she expected or are my expectations too low?

After my observation she left me a card on my desk (well table... I actually don't have a desk in my classroom - ask any teacher - they never get used they just hold our junk). This is the card that was placed inside.


Upon reading that I was just filled with smiles inside and out. What an amazing feeling and amazing word to use to describe my classroom, our classroom. I smiled ear to ear and really feel that she could not have picked a better word to make someone feel all warm and gooey inside! So I guess I "proved" myself. And yet again, another hard days work at this place of work I like to call "Disney World".

No comments:

Post a Comment