Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegas!!... scratch that

Derrick and I had a super eventful weekend full of fun activities! His birthday is right around the corner, November 29 to be exact, and we try to go on trips rather than buy each other things because we already have a lot of stuff and who doesn't love a good trip that you don't have to pay for!?! The past 2 birthdays Derrick has taken me to Cancun and Bimini. Both were amazing and I LOVED THEM! In case you forgot here was the GORGEOUS location of my 26 birthday to Bimini.

On top of the infinity pool
heading out into the beautiful crystal clear water

Gorgeous sunset view
Snorkeling:)

Unfortunately, it is much harder for us to go on a vacation for his birthday because it falls in November. I do not have have a 3 month break from teaching in November like we do in July and it also falls right in between to 2 pretty big holidays that I don't want to miss for school. But this year my friend Danielle messaged me over a month ago asking if we wanted to go to Vegas. I said sure!! Then I got to thinking and thought... heyyy Derrick loved Vegas! I'm going to surprise him for his birthday!! So we had it all planned out. Booked the hotel, we were looking into coupons for a nice dinner and going to see a show, and the best part of all - DERRICK GOT THE WHOLE WEEKEND OFF!! That never happens and/or works out when we need it to!

ugh! I had been monitoring the flights and they were looking wonderful for us all to fly stand by until about the week before ... they took a nose dive. They looked terrible. I had to make a decision because the hotel had to be canceled 4 days in advance. So, I canceled and told Derrick we were not going (ps... I cannot keep a secret and I got diarrhea of the mouth and told him a couple days before). Then we started looking up places we could go! I had already taken off and gotten a sub for Friday and he was off too so we figured the possibilities were endless! Cancun? Playa del Carmen? Costa Rica? Bahamas? ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh... allll bad flights! PEOPLE WHERE ARE YOU GOING RIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING!?!?! Stop hogging all the seats and let us people who don't pay for seats get on!!! I was starting to feel frustrated and sad. Poor Derrick plans these amazing vacations for me and I can't even pull together a 3 day vacation!?!

Then I decided to google Cirque du Soleil - Alegria. We both love seeing the shows and Derrick's favorite song/soundtrack is the Alegria one. Maybe by some miracle Alegria will be showing somewhere around us on that weekend.

O M G. It was! It was playing in Houston for 4 days only!! I booked the tickets for Friday afternoon, the 3:30 show, that way we still had the night to get back to Austin and meet up with his friend who was in town from San Jose. PERFECT!

My plan was to get up early on Friday, get my new TX drivers license, go get Derrick, drive to Houston together, grab lunch, then go see the show:) UGH! How many ughs can there be?!?! Derrick didn't set his alarm correctly so he missed the flight to get him into Austin on time. Instead I was just going to pick him up in Houston. I didn't bring enough supporting documents to get my license (you'd think after doing this for the 4th time I'd know the drill) so I couldn't even get it that day. It took me way longer to drive to Houston because my GPS is set to "avoid tolls" in Austin because I don't need to drive on a toll road when there is a free road right next to it that is just fine. Well... I wanted to ride the toll roads in Houston because Houston is a disgusting disaster and full of traffic if you're not on the toll roads. Welp... I sat in all of the nasty traffic because it didn't click to me that I forgot to change my settings until I was almost there!

Oh well! I picked him up -- we met up with one of his college friends and grabbed lunch, then headed to the show. Houston is a pretty city on a gorgeous day and I snapped a couple shots. Alegria was UH-MAZ-ING and if it is ever traveling around you I highly suggest you see it. There isn't a bad seat in the house and the clowns were hilarious. All in all it did work out for the best and we really enjoyed the entire day.

Whoo hooo - we were there:)

City view of Houston

Us getting ready to go in!

No comments:

Post a Comment