Monday, December 13, 2010

Mom's visit = long recovery

Shew! My mom and Darrell came to visit me the day after Thanksgiving. I was off Wednesday-Sunday so we figured since I had so many days off my mom would have her first taste of TX and Austin! Many of you know my mom but for those of you that don't here are some minor facts to describe her in a nutshell:
1. She is always first in everything she does. She taught us at an early age that we will lose at most games (Uno, Go Fish, Life) - it's part of life.
2. Goes along with number 1 ... she is ALWAYS in a hurry. For example, she runs when she mows the lawn. Seriously. My friends and old neighbors used to actually make comments about how fast she is.
3. She is a busy body beyond belief. From the moment she wakes... around 3:30 because 'she had too many things she was thinking about' she is up and off. She is EXHAUSTING!
4. She only partly listens to anything and everything you say (because she is busy thinking of other things like I stated in #3 and how to beat you to them like I stated in #1). To add to this she then will repeat back what she heard... but her version. More to come on this post as I collect my evidence.

Well.... because she is always in a hurry she made 1 minor error in booking her flight. She got here on Friday but she was supposed to get here at 10:30 AM... yea.. about that AM PM stuff. She got here at 10:30 PM! And sorry mom... the "your time, my time" stuff doesn't pertain to this one. AM time is AM time and PM time is PM time no matter what time zone you are in:) Oh well... lesson learned that even if you swear you double checked everything sometimes you just have to slow down and double check ;)

Here is the breakdown of our weekend -- hang on to your seats it's quite a busy weekend (and of course... we were always first)

So she got in on Friday night and we went to bed around 11:30. I drove them through downtown so they could see it slightly lit up at night and it was only a couple minutes out of the way (we weren't racing anyone so it was okay that we weren't "first".)

Saturday
  • we woke up early (well early for me... my mom had been up all night - couldn't sleep and was thinking about too much... what IS she thinking about I always wonder?? maybe I'll interview her and get an insight into that busy brain of hers)
  • drove 45 minutes to look at a possible vacation sight in the spring, then 45 minutes back
  • went to a cute, very austin-y (hippie) coffee shop called Spider House Cafe - a must if you come here
  • showed them around my school and area
  • picked up Derrick from the airport
  • went downtown to see the capital, Lady Bird Lake, late lunch, and UT campus.
  • home for dinner - meatball subs and chocolate fondue with dippings:)
  • played Euchre and The Game of Life (mom did NOT win)
Sunday:
  • Woke up early
  • went to out to breakfast
  • drove an hour to San Antonio
  • Saw the Alamo (guess who was first out of the building?)
  • walked around the Riverwalk
  • drove an hour back
  • Walked around Zilker Park and Barton Springs
  • Went out to dinner
  • Played Euchre and The Game of Life (mom did NOT win)
Monday:
  • Derrick drove me to school to take the car for the day
  • Mom and Darrell layed by the pool
  • Celebrated Derrick's birthday with an amazing dinner (that he cooked)
Tuesday:
  • Mom and Darrell took me to school to borrow the car for the day
  • Went to Botanical gardens and Mt. Bunnell then picked me up
  • Derrick made our first Thanksgiving dinner
Wednesday:
  • Derrick took me to school
  • Took mom and Darrell to the airport
  • Came home and went to bed at 7:30PM....
Shew! Exhausting but I think they really enjoyed it here. What is there not to like? Darrell and my mom are the most active people I know and make me feel like the laziest bum created. Here are some photos from our awesome visit!

Me at Spider House Cafe

The capital
All that Texas pride inside the capital

Ready to head downtown
Lady Bird Lake
Mom and Mia - best friends for life
Great shot of Derrick and I at the Alamo
Our first Thanksgiving dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment