Monday, December 20, 2010

Giving kids

So I have said many times that the school I work in, the families have well.... no other way to put it... a lot of money for the most part. They are so giving though and always want to help. But I always wondered... just because the parents are giving are the kids? Do the kids get everything they want?

Well, I can't answer the last question. They might get everything they want but I do know this -- their kids are UBER GIVING! I cannot believe my ears when my students come in to my classroom and tell me what they did over the weekend. Do your kids do this? I hope to do this with my own children whenever I have them to teach them the importance of giving.

  • During the first week of school they take books. pencils, crayons, and other school items to children in need at the Salvation Army downtown.
  • During Halloween they take most of their candy to the kids in the hospital who weren't able to go trick-or-treating.
  • During Christmas they pass out books to kids in the hospital.
  • Also during Christmas they fill up goodie bags with crayons and coloring books for kids in the hospital.
  • They go to nursing homes to sing not just during the holidays... all the time.
  • And my favorite one, if you get invited to a birthday party they ask you to NOT bring a gift. They ask you to donate to a charity of the CHILD'S CHOICE! This amazes me because it shows that even 5 and 6 year olds know what a charity is and have favorites! (one little boy asked for money to be donated to the ASPCA because he is an avid animal lover)
I love that the kids do this. And it's not because they have money ... they GIVE THEIR Halloween candy, THEIR books, THEIR time and THEIR birthday presents. Now, not all of them do this but I really hope that I can bring these traditions into my family when the time comes:)

Happy Holidays from 20 degree Ohio... ah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment