Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Winter wonderland:)

No... not a winter wonderland in TX!! Are you crazy!?! This past Saturday I went Christmas shopping (after my 5 1/2 hour house hunt... more to come on that later) in shorts and my new cowboy boots:) That's how warm it was here! I love how cowboy boots are appropriate with everything here... and they are my FAVORITE type of shoe. Someday I hope to get some "bedazzled" ones and really step out in style.

I am sure I have mentioned this before but I have wonderful parents at my school. One in particular, Katie, is my girl!!! I not only love her daughter and have a special relationship with her, but her mom and I are great friends (oh yea and my new claim to fame... her dad is also famous!) We talk about everything after school and email throughout the day different blogs that we love to follow and funny quotes. Well she is an amazingly crafty person. She helped me through gingerbread men, amazing story telling, papier mache, pumpkin carving, and next week gingerbread houses. She also noticed that next to my classroom was a storage room with 2 bookshelves, an old broken filing cabinet, old stuffed animals, and a million bajillion old teacher manuals from a previous teacher that retired and somehow all of her junk (lack of a better word) ended up in MY storage room. The room has a huge window that looks into my classroom.

She asked me about a month and a half ago if I would want to clean this out and let her (LET HER.... HAHAHA I LOVE IT) paint it, HIRE A MURALIST, and paint a jungle scene in there to go along with my monkey theme in my classroom. She then wanted to put either a desk and lamp and turn it into my office since she feels bad for me that I don't have my own area or make it a small group instruction area where my kids could be working in the classroom and I could still see and hear them but was in a quieter place.

Well.... upon cleaning it out we noticed there were HUGE cracks in the walls. I talked with our custodian (who by the way won EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR last year!) and he wanted to have our district come and approve it for safety and see if it needed to be fixed.

Unfortunately the mural had to be put off but do not worry. She told me last week she thought she might be able to do something small to the room...

SMALL!?!

SMALL!?!??!?!?!


This room is AWESOME (da bomb-diggity as I like to say). With Christmas music playing in the morning and the lights going (the snowflakes can be set on many different settings) it feels so wintery in my room:) The kids love it and it is a great way to help us get into the holiday spirit! I call it my "Macy's Window". Jealous?? I know you are:)

No comments:

Post a Comment