Monday, December 12, 2011

New Years Resolution

I cannot believe it but NY's is just around the corner... as in 19 days... yes folks that's right in 19 days Christmas will have come and gone 2012 will be arriving in just hours. SCARY!


I'm not normally a big NY's resolution person ... most people pick the same ol' thinkg - work out, lose weight, blah blah blah. I can only remember 2 NY's resolutions that I have ever done and was successful in both - 1 was eliminate soda... it was pretty easy since I rarely drank it anyways but I did eliminate it. The other was my first year teaching I opted to eliminate ALL negative statements towards my students. Meaning rather than saying - Sally, you should not be talking right now - I would say wow, look at everyone working so quietly. It's funny but Kindergarteners want to please you so much that that little spin on words can make such an impact. I wasn't ever a very negative person to start with in class but this really made for such a better atmosphere. I have continued this resolution as best as possible but of course every year - a fresh new start requires some negative words to get them to realize their consequences and choices.

So this year I have thought up my resolution. I want to read the classics. The Great Gatsby (read it senior year in HS, couldn't tell you a thing about it except that apparently it has a ton of symbolism that I never noticed), The Scarlet Letter, Wuthering Heights, and A TON more! On my Nook that Derrick got me for my birthday they were almost all free a couple weeks ago which started the idea. I downloaded them all and they are all waiting to be read. I started the Scarlet Letter on my flight back from OH over Thanksgiving but have gotten too busy to keep going much further. I'm about 1/4 of the way done. I can't wait to read all of these though - they are classics for a reason!

What's your NY's resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment