Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The drop off and re-weigh

Alright let's do a quick re-cap again.
1 - my stuff was picked up and weighed in at 6900 lbs (my original quote was 3000 and then up'ed to 3762 lbs telling me it was WAY over estimated)
2 - I called to get a verification on where and when my stuff was being dropped off and how much I owed and never got an answer
3 - I'm not arriving in Austin until August 5

So they pick up my stuff on the 29th and off they go. I get no phone call on the 30 regarding my stuff until at about 7pm the movers call me and tell me they will be there tomorrow around 4. I tell them I still have no idea how much more they want me to pay (IN CASH MIND YOU) and until I get that paperwork I will not be able to pay them anymore than what my last quote was for (an additional $1100 after the deposits I had already paid). The movers tell me they sent them the new weight yesterday and they should be calling me (UH YEA... THEY WANT THEIR MONEY IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS!?!)

I get a phone call at around 10:30am but they leave a message because I was at work and could not answer. Her name was Laketa and she tells me to call back for my new quote that I owe at 4pm that day in cash or money order. I call back at 10;45, 12:00, and 2:00. Finally at about 2:15 she calls me back and tells me I owe and additional $3,100 due IN CASH in 2 HOURS! I tell her this is not possible as I am in Charlotte and I need time to get the money out there. She connects me to the moving company (I thought I was dealing with the moving company but apparently they hire movers to do the actual move) and the lady tells me they can drop it off on Monday August 2. I tell her no way. I have someone in Austin on the 31 because that is the day they originally told me and it is not my fault they took forever to call me and expect me to come up with that much cash WITH NO PAPERWORK explaining why (even after multiple requests for this paperwork it is now August 11 and I still do not have any). We also requested a re-weigh of my stuff because we didn't believe my stuff weighed that much. And... where exactly were they putting my stuff since I couldn't get into my apartment until the 5th? Laketa told me it was $250 A DAY to put it into their storage and I would not be able to access it or even know where it was until I paid the amount in full. Also, if I put it into their storage I would not be eligible for a re-weigh and I MUST have someone there in person to pay, sign, and be part of the re-weigh. Well after much talk I told her I would let her know what I could do because she was just plain pissing me off.

I talked to our friend Kyle who lives in Austin and was a lifesaver to us through this whole process. He volunteered to help us out on Saturday and then said he could do it on Monday also. So we decided on Monday. Kyle found a weigh station AND a storage unit for them to put my stuff into so in the end it would all be in my possession.

August 2 I get a phone call saying they are about 60 miles outside of Austin around 9:00. I call Kyle (wake him up poor guy) and he goes to meet them. They go to a weigh station, weigh the truck initially, unload my stuff into the storage unit with tons of damage and missing things, then go back to the weigh station to weigh the truck again with nothing on it. Get ready... are you ready for the REAL weight....?? 3160 LBS! They totally scammed me and told me it was almost 3800 lbs more than it really was!!! So Kyle does lots of haggling and gets back $2000 of the $3100 they wanted me to pay. I then call the company and tell them what happened and how I'm going to get back the minimum of $650 that they owe me on top of the broken and missing items. She tells me nothing can be done that day and they will get back to me. (Yea right....).

So in the end the weight issue worked out. I probably owe a little over $1600 but I have paid over $2200. I have yet to receive any paperwork for any of these transactions from them and am still waiting patiently (kind of...). Tomorrow I will bring you up to date on everything that is missing and broken and post pics of the stuff and also let you know how inefficient (in case you didn't already notice) this company is. If anyone knows someone who wants to help me understand this company and maybe do some damage to them please let me know! I have contacted BBB, Federal Trade, and the Attorney General but this company must be stopped! More to come tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment