Sunday, August 15, 2010

I love my new school!

So through all of this mess with the moving company one thing has been a positive each and everyday and that is my school:) I LOVE IT! From what I gather it is one of the TOP schools to work at and send your child to in Austin and I am so grateful to have gotten in there:) When people ask me where I will be working and I tell them they always are so positive about the entire environment.

It is such a different atmosphere than what I'm used to. Supplies are at our fingertips (last year we had access "once a month" to go in with someone and were still super limited on what we could get). Color printers, unlimited paper, unlimited copies, unlimited laminating, and anything else we could need or want to make our classroom the best it can be. It feels amazing! The district is also super different than what I am used to. The people are so positive, from the superintendent to my principal, and they are so up-to-date with education. We are each given a laptop to use for school use and many things are done online (like the new teacher orientation... way better than sitting listening to someone read a power point to us). I don't want to brag.... but I am by far the LUCKIEST person right now!

In my school each K teacher has a theme that their classroom follows. They vary from the "hearts" to the "fish" to the "lion" or "bees". I chose the monkeys! Most other teachers have their matching their last names (French Fish) but I chose to do the monkeys and I am LOVING it! My room is turning out super cute! Here are some pics:

a view from the entrance:) art corner is in the way back left (not shown but its back there), housekeeping in the middle (so pumped that they have free choice centers EVERYDAY! - it's real Kindergarten!), my library is in the middle ("swing into reading"), and to the far back right is my literacy work area where I will work with students and "my desk" (I opted to not have a desk since my room is pretty small and it just gets filled with clutter).

our circle/calendar/whole group area - just need a group carpet which I hope to get from a parent


our behavior chart (we don't monkey around), safari guides (job chart) and up above I will write their names on the monkeys and hang their work from the clothespins.



my welcome bulletin board - Swinging into Kindergarten! I'll put their names on the monkeys swinging on the vine.

Later this week I will post pictures of my new apartment. We are hanging up pictures and maybe curtains later this week. Tomorrow I start my first day with the whole staff... a while day of professional development yuck! But luckily my room is almost done and I'm excited to get to know how the school is run:)

No comments:

Post a Comment