Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I love our grocery store!

For those of you who have never been to Austin the main grocery store here is H-E-B (I don't think it's pronounced HEB I think you say the letters, and no, I don't know what it stands for). Well our first experience at an H-E-B wasn't very good.... kind of felt like a stop-n-shop. Derrick went out roaming one day and found one even closer to me that is wonderful! It is HUGE. We went today and I have got to tell you about our grocery store experience and you tell me if you have ever seen all of this in 1 store??

1. We walked in and the samples out for the day were crab, avocado, and tempura sushi (as a sample!?!) and lasagna! Where am I?

2. We were looking for corn tortillas to make fish tacos (yes -- delish, be jealous) and what to our wondering eyes should appear... but ... no not santa and his eight reindeer - even better! Freshly made, warm, just wrapped CORN TORTILLAS! As in someone just sat there and made them in the store and was wrapping them up! (Don't ask me how they were... I inherited my mom's genes and claimed they were "too expensive" to buy when all we were going to do was just fry them up anyways... but it's the fact of the matter that they had them!).


3. While we were shopping, there was a lady walking around with FRESHLY BAKED BREAD on a cart asking if you wanted or needed bread. Well I said no... but mmmm mmmm she was smart! When you smell that bread after she walks by I was kicking myself (kind of... although I knew that it would be "too expensive" when I could buy day old bread and put it in the oven and make it warm then..... yet again... thanks mom).

and last but not least

4. We bought these AWESOME tortilla chips that looked authentic to me (authentic as in very "mexican-ish"). Although they were .50 more than my usual Santitas (always $2 and love them) I thought I would get a little crazy and spend the extra money. Well.... I'll never go back to Santitas!! These things are SO light and airy yet amazing I felt like I was in a Mexican restaurant. I actually said to Derrick... "Where am I? In Mexico???" Almost.....

So yes, what a great Tuesday I had shopping at H-E-B. This weekend I'll blog I'll about my first week in school which has thus far been fantastic (minus the couple boys that are testing me... I will win this test).

No comments:

Post a Comment