Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How lucky I am

Beware... this might be a little sappy:)

5 years ago I was graduating college, single, and so excited to move to Charlotte. I moved there, went out with a lot of guys, and wondered if I was just a little too much for guys:) Some people say I'm a bit much... as in a little crazy, a little goofy, a bit emotional, and pretty much wanting someone to take care of me :) Who would've thought I'd find that person!?! 4 years later still so happy:) So glad it never worked out with anyone else:)

Derrick and I have been together for 4 years -- 4 amazing years. We have survived a possible job loss for him, a miserable teaching career for me, getting a dog, moving across the country, house hunting and then it falling through, losing my job, getting it back, moving in together, and going on vacation to: ski in Deep Creek, 7 day cruise to Cozumel, Cayman Islands, and Ochos Rios, Florida, Bimini, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, San Francisco, New York City, New Orleans, Charleston, and soon to be Spain:)

He is so wonderful to me. I have meltdowns often.... too often... and he understands and knows when its just my stress or emotions 'lashing' out. He gets that cooking isn't my thing and it is his -- drinking wine is my thing:) He understands when I need help around the apartment. He knows when I've taken things too far and puts me back in my place. He gets when I grab baby clothes off the rack and walk them around the store saying 'isn't this so cute!?!'. He says I'm crazy when I say it's okay to have a baby out of wedlock - everyone's doing it these days (don't worry mom... I was just joking), he loves to sleep in but gets that on vacation - the one time most people want to sleep in I want to get up SUPER early for breakfast and to enjoy the day immediately!

So when people say 'aren't you worried he's not ready to get married' - my answer is... no. Why would I be worried? We have an amazing relationship. We get each other. Last year at this time I didn't 'get him' as much as I do now. And probably a year from now I'll say the same. You continue to learn so much about each other as the years go on, and for us making us stronger.

So yea.... I am so lucky to have him. He does so much for me.

Oh that boy... :)

3 comments:

  1. Katie, what a sweet blog! :) I am glad that you are happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shaunda! Sometimes I feel like I just need to step back and appreciate all that I have - I truly am so lucky:) I'm sure you feel the same way! Hope all is well in the new place/state/home/life! Such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are going great!! The boys love our huge yard!! :)

    ReplyDelete