Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Run to the Sun 2012


I'm over a week behind but I finally feel slightly caught up on my blogging - whoo hoo.  I have the rain to thank for that:)

Well, 2 weekends ago was the race that got me interested in running and motivated to get moving and add the distance.  Run to the Sun.  We had 2 teams at our school but actually ran as 1.  95 miles, beginning at 3:30PM and finishing at 6:45AM the next day.  We had a limo party bus for all of us and another VW van to follow around the actual runners and make sure they were safe.  We had 16 runners (I think... I can't count right now) and 1 biker who biked with the groups to keep them company:)

I ran the first and third legs.  It was 90+ degrees with the sun blasting on me for my first leg.  It was hard, hot, and amazing.  Cooled down for about 45 minutes and then did my 3rd leg which was flatter (a little), humid, but cloudy.  Then I was done and it was time to cheer on everyone else!

Some photos below ... then more to read:) and see
Photos below mostly taken by my friend Courtney.


6:30AM waiting for our final group to finish - yes it was cold! and we were exhausted

hanging out with a beautiful sunset in the background - you can't see it but it was there and it was perfect

although I didn't want to redo our heel click I'm so glad I did - this was tradition for each group when they finished a leg

whoo hoo 1st leg down and it felt so good! look at all the smiles - that gives you sense of how it felt:)

our 'new' group - we got motivated and wanted to run it!

heading out for my first leg

loaded up and ready to go!

en route - not sweaty, stinky, or tired... yet


My clothes packed and ready - 2 t shirts, 3 pairs of socks, yoga pants, long sleeve shirt, and a hat - yes it was all worn

my food - needed my carbs and protein however I could get it

all packed up - like going camping

after my 2nd leg --- yes I had a beer
Describing this experience is too hard to do.  How do you describe cheering for your friends running at 3am in the morning and dancing with glow sticks?  How do you describe that feeling when in the distance you see the neon colored shirts of your teammates and the bright yellow signs cheering for you that you're so close.  How do you describe the happiness of seeing a port-a-potty because you know your leg is done?  How do you understand the importance of doing the heel click - what a fun way to end you leg!  How do you describe that while out running in the extreme heat, you take a deep breath, look around, and are thankful that you can actually enjoy the sights... and enjoy running.  How do you describe the overwhelming support we received as a team - raising almost $18,000 dollars when our goal was only $10,000?

You don't describe it.  You can't.

I still think back about it and would do it all over again - today, tomorrow, and the next day.  This race was amazing and SO MUCH FUN.

Below is the video from our race -- it's too hard to describe but it gives you a little glimpse into the experience... get inspired




No comments:

Post a Comment