Sunday, May 6, 2012

Running break

I still cannot believe that last year at this time I had just started running - and was up to maybe 2 miles and was so proud of myself.  Now I can do 10 miles, on a random day, and feel great!  But with that came knee pain, losing a toe nail, blister, disgusting feet, broken out skin, and so much more.  It also though got me SO toned in all the places I wanted to be (thank you hills -- I love you!) and gave me an even bigger circle of friends and activities in Austin to participate in.  That being said -- I'm taking a small break from it.  I'm still planning on running but the heat is terrible especially right now with school still in session I can't get up and run in the morning before school... not enough time.  And by 3:30/4pm when I get home it's in the 90's and although I can run in that - I can't run much more than 5 miles without feeling sick and even then it's not the most fun run :)

So this summer I still plan to keep up with running - maybe a shorter run with hills and a longer run but that's about it.  I've been looking into taking classes over the summer and my sister got me hooked on hte P90X 10 minute work out - holy cow... don't knock it till you try it.  No joke - I was sore for 3 days after 1 of them!!!!! 10 minutes.. seriously... I was less sore after running 10 miles!!

Barre classes are getting huge out here.  I'm taking my first class tomorrow morning (took a personal day ahhhh).  From what I've gathered and heard it's like yoga ballet - standing up at the ballet barre.  It's a lot of stretching, toning, and I've heard it's hard!!  I'll give a full report after my first one.  I am by no means in any way a dancer... I'm told regularly by people I'm super awkward so ballet will definitely not be my finest strength but I'm excited to try something new... in the A/C when it's 100+ degrees outside! 

I also have a HUGE love for Zumba!!  Seriously - so much fun and I am dripping sweat after an hour of that. 

Below is a picture of my disgusting left foot.... it's been like this for about 2 months.  People tell me losing toe nails is your admission into running -- it happens... all the moisture and pounding of the toes just kind of flakes away your toe nails.  I dunno if this is true but it made me proud to sport a missing toe nail.  After long runs, like my 10.5 mile run last week, it turns blue/black and is bruised.  I'm planning on going to the Dr. for it just to make sure there aren't any major issues.  But beware.... it's pretty nasty:)  Clearly it's my middle toe -- and yes that is a ginormous (again real word  trust me I teach Kindergarten we use that word daily) blister on my 2nd toe.  It's popped but just not going away -- I clearly need a pedicure... gross.  Don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment