Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Injury

I have really started enjoying running and was up to about 3 1/2-4 miles (this is huge for me... I used to die after 1/2 mile because I hated it so much). Unfortunately, the week before school started I came down with an INTENSE pain on the inside of my left calf. My first thought was well it only hurts when I first start running so I'll just run through it. When I would get home my leg would throb but go away by the morning time. Then throughout the week it slowly got worse. Finally, the weekend before school started it became terribly intense. To the point where even if I did run that day it hurt to even walk on it or put pressure on it. Awesome... no big deal that I was getting ready to start my first week of school and my feet always hurt that first week as it is, let alone with a leg injury.

After talking with friends their solution was.... stop running. Shocker. They all said give it 3 weeks, stretch daily, etc. But no running. After 3 weeks if it wasn't better I should go see a Dr. So I waited. The 3 weeks ended last week and I went for a run. It felt great. No pain at all! I decided not to push it and took a day off then ran again the following day. Still felt great. I could feel a little stress on it (barely) so I was sure to stretch it well afterwards. I wanted to keep up the every other day running because I have missed it so much (and need to get back down to my normal weight... 4 pounds lighter - I know I know, people say I'm skinny but my clothes are still tighter and I don't like it and I know it's because of poor eating habits...). Sadly, I had what I thought was insane allergies, which is partially was, and developed into a crazy cough and it burned my lungs to run. My cough is much better today for the first time so my fingers are crossed for it to be even better tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to getting back into my running program. I never thought I'd say I am bummed about not being able to run AND counted down the days till my leg felt better. Every once in a while, like right now after taking a long walk with Mia, I'll notice a slight pain but nothing like before and with some stretching and rubbing it feels a ton better. My first injury.... it wasn't fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment