Monday, August 13, 2012

Barcelona - day 2

Day #2 started off kind of crazy.  We didn't have an alarm clock and I assumed I'd wake up on my own - I never sleep past 9.  Well... I woke up and it was 12:00 - NOON!  Ahhh we had reserved spots at Sagrada Familia at 2:00 and had no idea how to get there and needed to eat something!  My crazy planning was about to go caput just because we slept in!  NOOOO!!

Don't worry - we got up, showered quickly (easy to do when you share a bathroom with stangers and the water turns off every 15 seconds and you have to repush the button - I guess it's so you don't get too comfortable.  On top of that I bought crappy shampoo - 1 euro equaling about $1.50 at the convenience store and I wasn't too eager to use it), and ventured out!  we had our map and were ready to go!



We stopped on our walk for a quick 'bocadilla' (sandwich) and yogurt for me.


 Then away we went to our first sight seeing place - Sagrada Familia.  Luckily we were given the heads up to buy our tickets in advance so we don't have to wait in the god awful line.  We walked right in and bought the audio guide - which we did everywhere we went and it proved to be an awesome idea.  We learned so much.



Sagrada Familia was beautiful.  We spent about 2 hours there and enjoyed every minute of it.





 
When then grabbed some lunch and attempted to get to Parc Guell via bus.  Barcelona was huge and we really needed to utilize the public transportation if our sightseeing was actually going to work out.  Well on we hopped to the bus, and quickly in ridiculous fast and crazy Spanish and old lady was telling us to get off - we weren't on the right bus.  I couldn't understand her too well but she said she would walk us to our bus stop.  She kept talking to me and I kept saying 'que?' 'que/' - but she wasn't getting that I wasn't understanding.  Ah well.  Eventually - after 2 hours - we made it on the right bus and got to Parc Guell.


It was amazing.  Beautiful.  Loved it.  We opted to enjoy a beer while we were there and to my surprise while using the bathroom - toilet paper is a hot commodity - as in it's not provided.  Lesson learned - carry tissues with you which luckily I did:)








 




We headed back and were starved for dinner.  We found a cute little place but were definitely not impressed for the second time with our food.  ugh!!  we also learned that there were 2 different prices for restaurants - patio price and in restaurunt dining - we always opted for patio but it was always a lot more too - grr.


We then attempted to go to a bar I read about but it was too packed and we couldn't get in so instead we grabbed some gelato and enjoyed a Spain soccer, or futbol, game with the locals.  Definitely a high light for Derrick.

We grabbed another bottle of wine, headed back to our place and sat on the patio again relaxing and enjoying the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment