Monday, August 20, 2012

Heading back to the States

We woke up and headed to the train station.  They have a train that is a fraction of the price that takes you to the airport so we totally opted for this.  Little did we know the train would take over an hour... we were a little stressed to the say the least.  Especially since when we arrived the lines were backed up to another universe - farther than I've ever seen.  Derrick walked up to the front and showed his badge, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.  Lucky for us - it did.  We got checked in for the flight to Newark, NJ but that was the flight that wasn't looking great - a lot of people were listed.  We had enough time to also go check in for the flight to Dulles, on the Irish airline, so we did.  During this time ALL of the computer systems shut down.... and the lines were re-donckey-lis.  Lucky for us our info was already put through so ours took a little longer than planned but we were at least checked in.  Not gonna lie, we did a little party dance in hopes that this delayed a lot of people and gave us better odds of getting on.

My sister was planning on picking me up somewhere, we didn't know where because I didn't where I was flying into nor how I was getting anywhere, so she was standing by for my call IF we even made it back to the US.  I was staying with her for another week to spend time with Matteo and be there for his baptism.  Needless, I wanted to get back, sleep, eat American food, and snuggle with Matteo.  I was beat and ready to come home.

We arrived at both gates, but the flights were delayed, big time.  Not looking good again.  An hour later they called our names .... FIRST CLASS on the Irish airline - say whatttttttt.  Holy cow - this vacation could not have worked out any better for us.  We were so lucky this whole trip and this was the icing on the cake.

We boarded the plane and were given our toiletry kit, seriously anything you could possibly need or want on a flight was in it - socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, contact holder, deodorant, the works!

 It was awesome.  We were also given our menus to make our selections with our 5 course meal and were greeted with our choice, champange or oj - hello is that a serious question? 
Enjoying the champagne

We experienced our firs time in Europe together


Derrick and I were the only 2 that opted for the champagne though so the flight attendant said, well you 2 can either finish the bottle before take off or we have to dump it out.  Seriously.... if that another question???  Yes, give give give:)  We then enjoyed our meal with a few glasses of red wine, and the funny part is that I didn't feel much of the affects - that's how much drinking we did in Spain my body was immune hahaha. 

Our seats were the kinds that lay flat into beds, and also adjust to tons of different positions so I layed down, turned out the lights which really makes it totally dark in the cabin, and watched a movie while snuggled in bed (oh yes... down comforters are also handed out).  We landed in Dulles after 8 hours refreshed and feeling good.  Sorry bout cha look coach cabin people - y'all looked rough:)

I rented a car in Dulles and drove to Annapolis which was a closer pick up for my sister and sat at a Dunkin Donuts for a while just playing on my phone being stared at by the owners... I bought a bottle of water to make it okay.  My sister arrived, headed back to her house, and Matteo and I bonded then I headed to bed. 


We never really felt jet lagged or bad from the time change, we actually don't feel like we ever adjusted.  Since dinner is so late there we were forced to stay up really late and sleep in because nothing really opens early so we kind of stayed on our original schedules.  Now I was in DE for the week, the longest time I've been back there since 2003 I think, which was crazy.  But here I was, ready for the dream that everyone always wants - a vacation after a vacation:)

No comments:

Post a Comment