Saturday, January 29, 2011

And so education takes a cut in TX

Of course we all know that we are in a recession.... but never would I have ever thought in a million years that education would not have job security. Prepare yourself... I am stepping up on my soapbox.

Our nation is falling more and more behind in education each year. We are not the #1 nation in any type of academics, yet we feel that taking a cut, make that a major demolition, to education is going to help us? Education shapes our future. More and more students drop out daily from schools and no one is there to push them back in and keep them motivated. Education has taken a back seat to so many other things in this country. Why are movie stars giving all of their "hard earned" money to other countries to help fight their battles... why not give it to OUR country and fight our battle --- illiteracy and poor education! With class sizes getting larger and larger, even in the lower grades, how can we expect any child to learn at their fullest potential, and also how can we expect a teacher to enjoy teaching nearly as much with a bunch of chaos happening in the classroom!?! What kind of person believes that the place to make cuts is in education? Education is what builds new ideas, fosters creativity, encourages children to think, and builds our future! Education asks why... when everyone else says no. We as educators build thinkers and curiosity, yet in 10 years, with the way education is going, we might just build robots. Let's just sit the kids in front of a computer or tv and let them "watch" school. With the way things are going and the rate that schools are being closed I wouldn't be surprised.



So where does that leave me, a person who LOVES and ADORES her job (how many people can really say that and mean it)? Well, I'm not so sure. Texas is known to be a leader in education -- we don't follow the norm. Texas rarely makes major cuts in education, but this year they are. In my district alone they have already stated that they are cutting 158 elementary general education positions, and more in high school and middle school. They are threatening to close 9 elementary schools. So, like I said, where does that leave me? Well, again... not so sure.

Although I have 3 years of prior experience, I am on a 1 year contract until I have been with the district for 3 years. So I'm pretty sure that puts me at the bottom of the food chain. "First hire, first to fire" is the catchy slogan one person used (awesome). Then again, I did receive all "exceeds expectations" for my observation so that should count for something... right? Hm.... I have no answers at all. Of course people will retire, move, have babies and not come back, but 158 people? I hope so. But even then, what about next year? I feel as though I'm not safe. And so I sit.... and hope... and pray... that this long awaited, dream job that I finally received is not taken away from me. And if it is, I pray that I accept it and know that He has a plan for me. It may not be my plan, but it is a plan. Grad school possibly, or working with home schooled kids, or even waitressing. I pray that I do not view myself as "too good' for a job; I'm not too good for hard earned money. And so I fall back again on the verse: Be still and know that I am God.

Well..... I'll try to be still... but I can't promise it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment