Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Orleans for NY's - part 2

On December 30th we woke up bright and early (as in 3:15am) to shower and pack up the car. We dropped Mia off the night before at a boarder so we didn't have to worry about her. We showered, packed up, and headed off to pick up Kyle from his house about 20 minutes away. Poor Kyle had driven all night from New Mexico to make it back in time and didn't get in till 1:00 am (he got about 3 hours of sleep). Luckily he had the whole backseat to sleep on the drive down there which is about 8-8.5 hours.
The drive was easy and we didn't hit any traffic. Derrick's grandma lives in Lake Charles, LA so randomly and very last minute decided to veer off route 20 minutes and stop at her house to visit. We visited there for a little over an hour, then got back on the road. We got to our hotel around 2:30/3:00ish and my friend Mike was already there, ready and waiting for us. We valeted the car (easiest way to park there even though it was $33 a day), dropped off our luggage, and Mike and I headed out immediately to the first bar of the day/night while the boys stayed back for Kyle to tie up some loose ends with work and then they would meet up with us.

We went to a bar called Lucy's, a surfer themed place. Mike insisted on a drink called "Purple Rain" - a frozen margarita with sangria on the bottom. Double yum!
Triple drink.... yep we had 3 of them by the time we left. (By the time the boys showed up we were finishing up 1, ordered the 2nd, then since you can drink and walk we ordered one for the walk). I believe this is where I made my first mistake - I should not have gotten "drinks to go". Oops:)

Our group the first day at Lucy's - bar #1
On Bourbon Street
Grenade bar

We then headed onto to many more bars.... many many more. One of my favorite places was 2 for 1 beers and a karaoke bar all in the same place!! Mike and I did karaoke to a Journey song... I cannot even remember which one - but it was a blast! People loved us (you always think everyone loves you when you're drunk) and we got the crowd going (or was that just me screaming into the microphone... oh dear).

I was on such a "stage high" that when we got done with our performance I quickly ran out of that bar and into a another one and at that exact second they were announcing that they needed someone to come up on stage for the Saints fight song and swing their towel to get the crowd going. UHH HELLLOOO - I could do that. I ran to the stage and hopped up there and yet again - got the crowd going while Derrick quickly ducked his head to avoid being seen with me.

Take note of the one band player to the left -- totally leaning away from me because I think I was almost hitting him

I got down and was so proud of myself and felt like a pure bred Saints fan by then that the rest of the night I walked around yelling "WHO DAT, WHO DAT" - (that is the Saints saying). Apparently you should not scream that when you walk into a relaxing piano bar .... I know this from experience. We went to a couple more bars and then decided we were pretty hungry, we hadn't had dinner yet.

Owning the city

This was around 8:00pm. as we sat at Lucy's for dinner I decided it was time for this girl to go home. Food did not sound good, and I was past the point of needing anymore to drink, so Derrick walked me home. I went to sleep and was woken up at 1:30. The boys had all gotten split up and could not find each other. Eventually by 3:30 we all were safe and "sound" (passed out) in our beds.

Now... call it the WT (white trash) in my but I definitely do book my hotels based on if they have a continental breakfast or not. Judge if you wish:) I woke up at 8:30 feeling amazing, remember I came home at 8:00 the night before, and poor Derrick knew that we were going to breakfast. What a trooper he was. We headed down for the breakfast and brought the boys up some grub if they were in the mood. Mike bunked with us for the night because it just made sense in the end rather than going back to his condo that he has in NOLA. As we sat around reminiscing about the previous night for about 2 hours I realized that I may have been a bit "much" the night before. When I thought I was "owning" New Orleans, it really owned me. I definitely made myself known on the town! On a side note... that bar that I ran up on the stage and got the crowd pumped... yea I made up my own instructions I guess.... Derrick said I was not to supposed to go UP on the stage, I was supposed to start a train around the bar. There were bars surrounding the band as in "do not come up here" but I climbed under them. Hahaha oh well! We finally decided to shower and head back out. The showers were cold (grrrr) I think because the hotel was just full but c'mon --- get it together embassy suites!

We went to grab some lunch, then had some recovery bloody marys which had pickled green beans in them - so awesome!

We met up with my sorority sister Ashley and her husband Joe real quick, went back, showered, got ready, and headed out for an amazing dinner before NY's Eve craziness began.

My college friend Mike and I
We went to dinner at a well known, awesome restaurant called K Pauls. I highly recommend it - although it is pricey it is well worth every bite. The owner, K Paul, actually has spices out that you can buy at the store and I hear they are awesome. Even better - he was at the actual restaurant!! We got a picture with them:) Yep --- another claim to fame for me:)

After dinner we headed out for our night. It was crazy there and actually the next day we heard that on a poll conducted, New Orleans was #1 for New Years for 2010. Whoo hoo - we were there. I unfortunately was not in the mood for another crazy night, my poor 26 year old body could not handle another 21 year old night. We went to many crazy bars, got some fun crazy masks, lost the rest of our group, watched the fire works, attempted to walk home but got lost, grabbed a cab, and got dropped off at the hotel.

Awesome mask I wore most of the night:)
Ashley and I in our masks
The streets were insane

Crazy packed

We woke up at 7:30am (the boys were not very happy and did not feel too hot the whole drive back, which left me pretty much driving the whole way back solo), and made it back to pick up Mia around 3pm. We grabbed her, dropped off Kyle, and came home to relax. Ahhh the adventures of NOLA.

To conclude here are some rules to live by if you ever go to NOLA:

1. Do not get your drinks to go.... you end up consuming double the amount
2. Do not drink the hurricanes.... I am pretty sure it is pure if you walked by a lighter you would ignite from all of the liquor in it
3. Do not go with a group of boys that continually make sure you have a drink in hand
4. Wear comfortable shoes... apparently I took mine off and continued to walk around and had the black feet to prove it
5. Eat before drinking
6. Do not go into bars that have stages... you will go on them
7. Remind yourself that you are not 21.... your body will hate you a lot the next day if you forget

NOLA was a blast --- a bit too crazy for me on the NY's Eve with all of the people but it was an experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment