Sunday, January 23, 2011

New Orleans for NY's - part 1

Do you ever think about the "old times" or look at pictures of your kids (not me) or younger cousins (me) and think to yourself.... man, I wish I could be young again. Not like baby young or little kid young, but new to college parties and/or new to being 21. Where parties and fun is all you think about?? ... Yea... me neither... but apparently when we went to New Orleans for New Year's I pretended to be 21 again and celebrated like there was no tomorrow.

Let's back up to the beginning of our New Year's experience

For Derrick and I, New Years has always been an important holiday. No, not because it is a wild and crazy time, or because we always dress up and poor Derrick has to wear something that I hunt long and hard for that matches me so that we look good in pictures (yes... this really does happen whenever we go on vacation... whatever judge if you want but he just goes with it and I love how we look all matchy-matchy) but because this is when we had our first date. Back in 2007, Derrick came to visit our mutual friend Danielle in Charlotte. I was "suckered" into hanging out with them, ended up hanging out all weekend, and made plans with Derrick to do something awesome for NY's (it was around the beginning of December at this time). We agreed on San Francisco and there was a big group of us that were going to buddy pass (pay $150 round trip to fly stand by to get out there) it out there and then stay out in San Fran for 2 days and enjoy NY's. I didn't see Derrick again until a couple days after Christmas when we he flew to BWI (Baltimore, MD) and I picked him up at night and we drove through the night to Charlotte. We did some NY's shopping the next day, and then the following day woke up super early and ventured out to San Fran. Because I was flying with Derrick I had a better chance of getting on the flight, although it was a lot of sitting, waiting, and commuting to different cities, we eventually made it out there. Unfortunately, no one else from the group did. One of the girls never made it out of Charlotte, one only made it to Houston and had to turn around, the others ended up backing out. So there we were, only ever hanging out face to face for 4 days prior to this and now we were alone, across the country, in San Francisco, hoping we would get along well enough to survive this trip. Well, we survived:)

Us in 2007 - my how we have changed

We have since spent NY's in New York City (08),

New York City - we did a dinner/all you can drink cruise on the Hudson Bay which was freezing while waiting outside to get on the boat (a mere 17 degrees was the actual temperature) but it was awesome once we were on the boat seeing the Statue of Liberty from the water, going under the bridges at night, and seeing the fireworks on the water.
Our group for NY's in New York - Derrick being "special"

Orlando (09)

Because we were both in Florida for Christmas this made the most sense. Also, we got to spend NY's with Derrick's brother and sister and our friends Danielle and Rob again - who we spent NY's in New York with
Our group for NY's in Orlando

and now New Orleans (10).
I know I know... we don't match - don't get me started

Our group on Bourbon street -- sorry it is blurry and no, I do not know the random girl on the right side... disregard her:)

Where will we go next? As Derrick likes to say... the possibilities are endless (we are both keen on Seattle right now).

Well, for NY's this year I was planning on taking Derrick on a cruise for a late birthday/Christmas present. The cruise ended up being wickedly expensive so we opted to delay it until Spring Break (probably won't happen for that time either now due to the condo timing... more to come on that later). Plus, since it is so stressful and hard to fly during the holiday season I suggested New Orleans. We could drive there, and a bonus perk I knew someone from college to who lives in Baton rouge who was going to be in NOLA and my sorority sister Ashley, who got married in Charleston this year, and her husband were going down. PERFECT! So NOLA was the decision. Last minute our friend Kyle also joined us, which was nice to help bring down the price of the hotel and the room was a suite so he had his own section. Perfection again.

Okay... now that the background is complete let's get onto the juicy good stuff.... where Katie made a name for herself in NOLA.

Because this post took way much more time/words than I had planned I will continue it in part 2 just to break it up... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment