Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Getting involved

I am trying really hard to make Austin my home. I want to get out and do as much as possible and get involved. I haven't reallllly succeeded very well - I blame the house hunting. It really has occupied a ton of my time since November. Pretty much all I have done since moving here is attend a Tri Delta alumni event. I could only attend one because the next one I was busy with house hunting - shocker.

I have yet to meet my goal of running a 5K here... no excuses on that one. I got up to running 3 miles a day and then got really bad pains in my legs and just couldn't run anymore. I plan to run one when the weather starts getting nicer:)

One of Derrick's friends that lives here is married. His wife, Kara, is so funny and sweet and recently invited me to take part in her monthly book club. This month the book we are reading is called "The Hamlet" by William Faulkner. She told me that apparently this is a must read for any southern person. Well.... I have to be honest - I cannot highly recommend this book... or even recommend it at all. It is so hard to understand, hard to follow, too many characters, and I really do not understand the point of it. BUT I am determined to finish it and really want to be part of a book club! I love reading!!

Also over the weekend I began playing tennis again for a league in Austin called CATA. I joined the USTA so if I wanted to I can now play in some tournaments (I might in the summer when I have a lot of extra time). The league is all women and plays on Saturdays beginning in February. Our team is called No Strings Attached (not going to lie... I love NSync and this was the title of one of their albums - sign? I think so!). It is mostly older women who don't work and play tennis all day long at their country clubs. One of my co-workers, Sheri and I, are on the same team and I think we might be the youngest people in the league:) Should help with us winning some matches!

I just love being back on the court. I love tennis outfits - they are so cute. I can actually fit into girls sizes so I found some new skirts for only $7!!! Thank God I can fit into their sizes because the women's ones were $30!

I got the skirt below in white and hot pink too. And yes, in January I went outside to play tennis in a tennis skirt and a fleece jacket, which came off about 10 minutes into playing and just had on a tshirt underneath. Ah the weather in Austin:) (Although... it was 20 degrees last night and it is currently 60 degrees in my apartment because I refuse to turn on the heat knowing I was wearing shorts 5 days ago). I also was sure to tell the ladies on the team that I wear my tennis skirts short - I don't like to have things on touching my legs while playing - and if I could I'd wear a bathing suit hahahaha. I can't help it - the shorter the better for tennis for me (besides... there are shorts underneath so who cares)



So wish me luck - GO NO STRINGS ATTACHED!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! You must recommend a FUN book. So far this school year, my book club has read:

    1)Someday You'll Thank Me for This (A Southern Woman's Guide to Being the Perfect Mother)

    2)Have A Little Faith by Mitch Albom

    3) Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish

    and February will be The Secret Gift by Ted Gup.

    We have food to correspond with each book:
    1)Fruit-topped Shortcake cookie and Almond Brittle (recipes included in the book)

    2) Honey Spice Hanukkah cookies and Vernor's(the story explored the life of a rabbi plus a minister in Detroit ***home of Vernor's)

    3) Chocolate Torte (plus I made for each member a red bandana "cozy" for a purse-size package of Kleenex. ***It's a funny but poignant story***

    I'm so lucky to share these books with five of the most open, accepting, and trusting co-workers. Our discussions can and do get quite personal. The entire process is an eye-opening and soul-searching experience. LOVE IT!!!!

    Love, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leigh!! I will suggest them and even if we don't choose them it gives me my new list when I go to the library:):)

    ReplyDelete