Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I can sew!

Well... I can TRY TO SEW:) On Saturday while Derrick and I were looking at JoAnn's for fabric for our curtains I picked up some cheap, ugly fabric to practice making curtains to give Derrick an example of what kind of curtains I wanted to make and to give myself a good idea of how much fabric we would need. I also picked up some jersey knit navy blue fabric to make a scarf I saw on one of the blogs I have become obsessed with.

Well I made the curtains -- they were crooked and the stitching kind of went up and down like mountains and valleys but... I made them fit around a curtain pole which I was so proud of! I figured out what went wrong and actually even better... I want to put excess fabric (about 8-12 inches) along the bottom to bunch up so no one would be able to see if my stitches aren't straight (adds character huh?) and also across the top it will be covered up by the pelmet box. No worries there:)

Now about that scarf.... apparently I did some miscalculations. As I was pinning up the pieces of the scarf (it was intended to be pleated) Derrick says to me: looks a little short doesn't it? He got the evil eye from me and something along the lines of me saying 'what do you know?' - although I thought it was looking kind of short too. About 2 minutes later Derrick recovered by saying "oops... I didn't see you sitting on some... definitely looks long enough." hahaha love his failed attempt. So off I went pinning and then began sewing. It was tough with a lot of lifting and turning corners, but it was so fun! I also forgot to pick up navy blue thread, so I made the scarf with white thread. Awesome contrasting colors hahaha - it really didn't look terrible. Unfortunately... 30 inches makes a huge difference when it comes to sewing and somehow I miscalculated and well... it is too short. Hmmmm -- I'm going to see if I can make something else with it or make the pleats smaller and see if that will help.

So without further ado.... the photos of me making and sewing my first time ever and my failed attempt at a scarf (but I will say if I can get this scarf thing figured out some of you are getting them for Christmas next year because I love them!!)

I like the texture... remember this once was just plain navy blue fabric:) not too shabby for attempt #1

Fail... a little too short to wrap around my neck and the pleats are a little big but I made that:) white stitching and all!
Making practice curtains - don't worry this is not the real fabric we are using! Measuring everything out to cut it "straight" -- I have decided that I need a wheel thingy cutter (those of you that sew know the real name of it but it looks like a pizza cutter) and a cutting board thingy to cut on because I just do not know how to cut straight
Sewing machine time! Off and running:)
I love it - I am currently obsessed!! I plan on taking classes in the summer to learn how to make some PJ pants or a new robe (currently that is what is advertised by JoAnn's hahaha - maybe new PJ's for everyone for Christmas?)

No comments:

Post a Comment