Monday, January 24, 2011

House update yet again

Welcome to the ever-changing lives of Derrick and Katie and purchasing a home.

Yet again, plans have changed and actually in the middle of me typing this blog they changed AGAIN!

As I posted last week we are able to assume their current FHA loan which is awesome and saves us some serious dough, so we know that in the end this is worth all of the headache (we being Derrick because while he had vacation all last week he did nothing but deal with this mess).

Unfortunately, assuming a FHA loan is no walk in the park. It is a lot of phone calls, being on hold, talking to people via telephone but no one ever in person, talking to people who read off of scripts and can't really answer any questions, and dealing with people who do not use technology (they told us everything had to be done via "snail mail"... who does that these days especially with contracts that are time sensitive?).

So... the process itself from the time we receive "the packet" (this packet that comes with typed our instructions that we are to follow exactly... sounds mysterious) could last UP TO 45 days. We have yet to receive the packet mind you but should by the end of the week. When asked what we could do to help move the process along their response was: every case is different. Right... but since we are already pre approved for a loan from BofA will that help? "every case is different". Got it... but if you could give us some pointers as to what to prepare while waiting for the infamous packet... "every case is different" (notice the trend of how helpful they are?). The same trend occurred when we asked about payment and payment options.

Due to this lengthy process, which by the way has also been know to take as little as 16 days from the time the packet is received (depending on the case of course), we changed the contract up quite a bit. The major change was our move in date was changed from Feb 4 (so close) to March 1 (so far away). My immediate response to Derrick was; "omg (oh my god) we won't be able to paint before hand!". Derrick's response to that was, "that is the least of my concerns... please do not say that again.". Hey... just being honest - it bothers me that we can't get the major painting out of the way before moving in! I then started to think about how close we are cutting it. March 1 doesn't actually give us the full 45 days if we get our packet at the end of th week, and if we go much longer we are running into my apartment lease date being up (March 7). Yet again -- ugh --- we will have to make the move in 1 day probably rather than just taking things over slowly which I was looking forward to. I was stressing out and getting aggravated that this whole situation was out of my control, and I enjoy being in control or at least having someone to ask our 10,000 questions to, when I happened to fall upon this wonderful verse.

Now, I am not one to read daily devotionals although I wish I could say I was because when I do I feel very much at peace, but I do believe that God sends things our way when we need them the most. I love this sight because it tells you the verse but then breaks it down for those of us that need it. The verse itself I still can't say I understand fully, but the last paragraph really helped me realize that it is okay to not have control, someone else has it:)
Click here for the verse

So things calmed down for us and we had an awesome weekend. And like I said, as I was typing this our realtor contacted me and said that there are 3 more changes to the contract (good lord). One of them being that the sellers want the closing date to be bumped up to February 28, 1 day earlier. I'm guessing it has to be because they do not want to pay for the month of March. Whatever... as long as the paperwork is complete I'd move in on Feb 4 as originally planned!

You are now up to date as of 7:25 central time (time zone change mom) on January 24.... in 10 minutes things will probably change again!

No comments:

Post a Comment