Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Have I said I love Craigtslist lately?

Okay seriously... if you have not sold/bought anything off of Craigslist you are HIGHLY missing out!!! I have become OBSESSED and refuse to even shop for any type of furniture or large priced item at a store. After finding my amazing chest of drawers I just want to find more and more! Okay, prepare to go a little off topic for a hot minute...

Well the opportunity came up a couple weeks ago when Derrick finally got all of the plans made to move all of his stuff out here. This is kind of big... in my eyes huge... because he said he would A) never move in with a girlfriend and B) never would move his stuff until he owned a house. So, when he finally committed to doing this and rented the mini uhaul trailer and got in the car on Monday from Mobile (his car was in Newark, NJ, and back in February he drove it down to FL to his parents. His parents packed up his things and drove it to Mobile where his dad is currently working.) 10 hours later he got here! We unpacked all of the boxes which is a whole different story.

.. Hold up... let me get back to Craigslist... okay soooo when Derrick finally decided that he was doing it he said he was bringing all of his books... not some... not a couple boxes.. no no, this boy LOVES books. He has easily a couple hundred. He said he definitely needed some bookshelves. Well gee golly BOOKSHELVES ARE HELLA EXPENSIVE!

Craigslist... ooo Craigslist! I started hunting a couple weeks ago and wasn't having many hits. On Sunday I checked it out and found 3 sets!!! Our favorite ones a 2 natural wood colored (we will paint them black and put them in the bedroom) that are about 5 feet high. Derrick wanted 6-7 ft ones but for now I figure let's just get what we need and we can always use them for something else at a later point. Total... for BOTH bookshelves, they want $75. Yes, for the set! How can you beat that!?!? So we are trying to arrange a pick up time but unfortunately she is out of town until Tuesday. Derrick leaves on Monday. I do love Craigstlist but here are my top rules:

#1 - I never go alone to pick it up.
#2 - I never am home alone if I sell something
#3 - I never give them my address. I give them a close address and then tell them to call me when they get there. I will give them directions the rest of the way. I know they have a memory but this just makes me feel better.
#4 - I always ask for my money to be $20 increments (again, I guess it just makes me feel better that it wouldn't be counterfeit at such a small number... I know it's not true)
#5 - I always try to look them up on facebook. Based on their email addresses they sometimes have 1st and last name ... I wanna know if they are real and what I'm getting into.
#6 - I keep the doors open.

Really, every single person I have encountered has been so friendly, nice, and I never felt worried. But, you can never be too safe! Now after freaking everyone out on my rules GO SHOP ON CRAIGSLIST!

Our next purchases that I am keeping my eyes peeled for are male and female bikes (we live so close to the city and the major parks and it would be awesome to avoid parking). Also, a filing cabinet for all of our paperwork. Fo real... no joke... check.it.out! Hopefully pics of the new shelves soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment