Sunday, March 20, 2011

Apartment - updated!!

Although I am uber bummed about not going anywhere special for spring break we got a TON done on the apartment. As you know, the pelmet box situation was not very fun - but now it is up and looking fabulous! We also rearranged furniture and bought a new bench/chair that eventually will have color coordinated pillows behind it to help it look more appealing to sit on and blend in nicely. Total seating went from 4 at the beginning of the week to now 8!! (2 on the bench, 2 on the ottomans that can be pulled out).
We still have no pictures on the wall and will start hunting for something soon, but don't you love it? I do! I think the colors look great together and now we can start really decorating! My plan is to use the curtains leftover fabric (2 huge king size pillow cases and still the fitted sheet) to make pillows for the couch/bench and I have some of the coral left also for a pillow and I bought the cool swirly coral/white fabric for a pillow too. My laptop won't be there forever, just until I find a mini table/desk to put it on. Also, my mom is bringing me my sisters old lamps that I will probably do something funky on the lampshades. The table between the couch and chair is the new one I bought and because we put it on an angle is serves as a perfect sized table/place to display frames on the back side/and on the front side a place for my books.

Today I went out and found the rest of the material I need for the guest room/master room. The master is being done in yellow, black, and gray. Here is the pelmet box with the gray curtains behind it - haven't put it up yet. Poor quality but the flowers have bright yellow in them.
Then I bought this fabric to recover a chest that my dad made (mom painted it black and is bringing in 2 weeks). Kind of funky but still cool. And I still have the yellow/gray/white fabric for the pillows that I think/hope still looks okay once its all put up and together. The master bedding is just white (white duvet, white pillow shams) and then the furniture will be black. Decorations will be black/white photos and these cool black shelves I ordered awhile ago but they won't go up until the bed is set up (more on that below).

Then in the spare room we are planning on making it kind of beachy-ish. Not like flip flops and stuff but just different shades of blue and with the palm tree bathroom it will kind of all go together. We are planning on putting up ALL of our pictures from the old apartment that we have taken and blown up from trips we went on. We didn't want to throw them out but they don't exactly mesh with the rest of the apartment so that's why we opted to make it kind of islandy in the spare room. The fabric was hard to find because I did not want umbrellas or hibiscus flowers all over it so I settled on this. Floral, but kind of cool to look and it reminds me of the ocean with the gradual change in colors. No curtains in this room because Derrick has an L-Shaped desk he bought and it runs along the window. Poor lighting/cell phone picture but it starts as blue at the top and gradually changes into teal at the bottom.

It is definitely feeling homey. Next on the list is a TV, mattress has been ordered (a great friend works for Sealy so we got BEYOND an amazing deal on a mattress so we are waiting for it to be shipped to Austin and then delivered... about 4 more weeks but I would wait a year for the prcie we got!), and Derrick is making the bed frame. Very simple, black, no headboard (we have something cool we are doing for that too). Then I need a dresser for the bedroom (looking on craigslist/goodwill currently so we shall see what I find) and a small table for the spare room to put by the futon for a clock/lamp. Other than that I think we got most of this place kicked out!! Now for the small decorations that, as I read in many magazines, come along as you are out and about. I don't want to force anything like small decorations - just find it as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment