Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The fabric

I have been on a mission to get this apartment looking like we had envisioned our condo -- homey. I want the apartment to have the look and feel of a home. I really feel the best way to do that is through little table lamps rather than over head lights. The over head lights are so bright and give off the fluorescent light look to me. It is amazing to me how much curtains and things on the wall can help an apartment look so much better.... unfortunately I don't have anything up yet because we are taking it slow and want it all to mesh well, not like a first apartment where you kind of take what you can get and go with it.

So on Monday I ordered my material for the curtains in the living room. I got this great idea from another blog to order a King size sheet set and you can use the flat sheet for the curtains (already sewn all on edges :) ) and the pillowcases for pillows. The lady on the blog actually did this in a nursery and used the pillowcases as a changing pad cover and made a valance with the fitted sheet. Here is what I ordered. I love the funky shape and I think they will be plenty long for me to leave them bunched on the bottom to add more depth.
I bought them from overstock.com for $39.99 - the whole set!! And Free shipping!! I got the Pacific Blue (navy blue) ones -- l-o-v-e:)

For the next pieces of fabric I have the same picture 3 times, each piece is labeled. Sorry, didn't feel like taking 3 separate pics.

Over the curtains I plan to make a pelmet box. I saw on another blog (love those blogs) that the lady just used a piece of foam board (like poster board but sturdier with foam in between). She cut it in the shape she wanted, DUCT TAPED IT TOGETHER, cut batting to fit for some dimension, and then staple gunned the fabric on top. Perfect:) I wanted something bright to go again the dark navy blue and something solid colored since there was a pattern already. I thought I was SOL but low and behold... there it was -- just what I wanted:) it looks kind of burlap-ish but it's not ... just the look of it. This looks really pink but it's not -- promise -- it is more orange and 100% coral.


Then I bought this AMAZING fabric which JoAnn's has in TONS of colors. I am obsessed. I plan on buying it still in blue, yellow, green, and orange but for now... it's just the coral one. I know it looks pinky but it really is more orangey ... definitely coral - just like the pelmet box material. I am going to cover my current pillows on the couch that are tan suede and chocolate brown leather (came with the couch) probably with the navy blue pillowcases. I am going to make probably just 1 maybe tubular pillow or 2 small square pillows in this funky pattern of coral and white swirl:)

Lastly, this is the fabric I bought to make pillows for the master bedroom. I want the colors to be gray and yellow, and this was perfect. I love it. It is hard to see but it is yellow background with white cherry blossoms, little dark pink dots in the center of the flower, and gray stems. Simple - yet really pretty. Now I just need to find some gray and yellow fabric to use as curtains, which is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

So... that's it! can't wait to get started over the weekend and next week is spring break so I hope to have them done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment