Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The school year is over

Wow. I don't even know where these last 175 days went that I spent with my students. When did they grow up? When did they all learn to read? When did they learn to appreciate one another and use their friendly skills without me reminding them? Wow.

As I sit sipping some wonderful wine I am reflecting back on this school year. I have never enjoyed a school year more than this year. I finally was able to do everything I wanted to do in a Kindergarten classroom. We cooked, we played (and even said the word play which was forbidden at my old school), we did art, we made friends, we laughed, we told jokes, we did show and tell - all of this while teaching and learning. I also think of the days where I was too impatient, too demanding, too snappy, too... much. Instead of just enjoying my amazing class and group of students that adored me. But, I think we all have those days that we do not get enough sleep or something sets us off and mean ol' us... we sometimes don't have the patience for 5 and 6 year olds. But, I kept to my number 1 goal this year -- to tell each child I was proud of them every.single.day. It is amazing how much those words can mean to even the little ones.

My class was a dream. They told me daily how much they loved me. They begged to stay in Kindergarten. They told me I was pretty multiple times a day. They wrote me letters all the time with beautiful pictures of me as a princess. They listened. They learned. They were excited. They loved school. I couldn't be happier. So to my Monkeys of 2010-2011.... I will miss you so much and cannot believe you will be big "graders" (that's what my class calls the older kids in ... grades)... big 1st graders at that! I am so proud of you!

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwww, Katie, that makes me miss teaching! I'm glad you had a great year and got to do the "p" word!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shaunda!! This year was fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete