Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The bad..

The good thing about switching schools AND districts AND states is that I feel that I finally have a newly found love of teaching, which I brag and talk about very often on my blog. The bad thing about switching schools AND districts AND states... I have no seniority in the district. Yes, I came with 3 years of experience and I get to collect the extra pay for that... but when it comes to budget cuts --- first to hire, first to ... "fire" (let go, no renew their contract... you get the deal).

So yes... on Monday afternoon I was informed that as it stands right now I will not be coming back to my Disney World school. I also will not be reassigned to another school in the district as it stands currently. Here are some basic facts of what I do know:
- There is an external hiring freeze... which means ONLY people within the district currently can get a new job if and when they open up throughout the 2011-2012 school year
- If my school ends up needing another teacher I can go back there... I did not leave on bad terms
- Nothing has been voted on yet... NOTHING... which means this could miraculously (probably not but it's nice to think) all be false and not pass and then I could get my job back
-My school and district is not going down without a fight
- Things could change... very quickly
- I have not OFFICIALLY been given a pink slip... which again means that yes, I will be cut if I have to be, but no... it is not official ... yet

I was prepared for this. I had a feeling it would happen. So, I had a nice little 20 minute cry about why me... I have bad luck... what a waste of a move... how can this happen... this is a nightmare... I'm 26 and am going to nanny for a living?

Then I stopped... and thought to myself... this was NOT waste of a move. I do NOT have bad luck. Yes, I did not foresee this in my future, but I also did not foresee EVER working at such an amazing school. So, this was not a waste of a move. I learned how to enjoy teaching again and find the fun in it. Even if this means that I will end up a different school and not the "dream" school, I still gained so much from just 1 year there.

What do I hope for ... in a practical way?

I hope that if we all have to be cut that they end up cutting too many people and realize it over the summer or even the beginning weeks of school. That they let go of too many people are are now over crowded. That is my hope. I am willing to accept any position, and gradually work my way back to Kindergarten and back to my school. Until then, I will find ways to make ends meet and put a smile on my face. It could be worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment