Sunday, February 13, 2011

Not looking back

Well... as far as my job is concerned I'm not going to look back with regret - I have no regrets. Although I am on a fine line right now with possibly losing the best job I have had, I do know that it was and still is all worth it. Here is what I know thus far:

The have increased the number of general education layoffs from 441-552.

My school will lose 4 teachers due to class size increase.

There were 4 new teachers hired at my school last year (hm do the math....)

They will eliminate teachers 1st based off of performance (I'm excellent in that category... *toot toot* - yes I will toot my own horn), 2nd on seniority (only within the district... not years teaching... ugh.. that gives me 1). and 3rd certifications (I am only certified general education - I am in the process of taking classes to get my ESL - English as a Second Language - and GT - Gifted/Talented - certifications but will not have them until after the cuts are made... I guess they will help me in the future).

How many teachers are retiring/leaving from my school and the district is still unclear to me right now.

In the newspaper yesterday the school district came up with the proposal for reductions by school that will be presented to the school board tomorrow evening - and my school listed 2 K teachers and 1 3rd grade (that would be 3 of the 4 new teachers hired... the 4th one has her masters which helps her in the certification area).

Tomorrow my principal should get more info... who knows if its anymore than is already public knowledge.

February 28 they will vote to end contracts... I'm not sure if this is when pink slips will begin being passed out.

We must be notified by state law at least 45 days prior to our last day of school if we have lost our job... that would be mid April. I hope to know yay or nay WAY sooner.

So... am I sad? Scared? Confused? Depressed? check check check check -- all of the above. But -- at the same time it feels AMAZING to have so many parents rooting for me. Parents I don't even know... don't even teach their kids... are rooting for me. I get asked daily what can they do? Can they write letters to help... can they do anything at all to save me? This reinforces and reminds me that I am not being FIRED... I am being let go due to circumstances out of anyone's control.

I know that I will find another job -- eventually. I also know that this wasn't a waste of a move for me to go across country even though I had way more job security in Charlotte. I was on a downward spiral fast in Charlotte when it came to teaching. I had lost the main focus because the district sucked it out of me. This new job revived me -- gave me that happiness and enjoyment of teaching that I had when I was in college. The thought that I could change the world by molding the younger generations minds:) I am on a teaching-high right now and I don't see an end in sight. This job, although possibly short lived (and then again... I might might might still have it next year... eh...), helped me a lot. It made me feel like a great teacher with all of the support from the families I have had and the love from the kids. So, I will not look back with regret or think to myself... 'what a waste'... nope... instead I will try to remind myself ... 'what a gift I was given:)

No comments:

Post a Comment