Friday, February 4, 2011

Job update

On Wednesday we had our short staff meeting to be updated (barely) on what could and might happen with our jobs. Wednesday was an extremely insane day at our school (no power and 19 degrees outside... more to come on that) so I think we all were hoping for some good news at the end of the day. And while we didn't guaranteed jobs on the spot, there is a positive outlook.

We didn't get much info because the planning is still at the beginning phases but here is what we did find out:

- There will be 4 general education teachers that we will lose at our school.
- AISD (my district) told her that anyone who currently holds a contract (that's me) should still have a job next year, but possibly not in the grade level or campus. As much as I L-O-V-E my Disney World school, a job is a job and I am willing to work anywhere and at any grade level, even though Kindergarten is my first and true love. More experience at another grade level is always a great way to learn new ways of teaching:) I would rather switch grade levels than move schools. But that comment alone definitely takes a load off of my shoulders. My thoughts on it is that AISD might already know that they have enough people leaving/retiring (we had to fill out our intent forms a couple weeks ago for the district) but cannot fully disclose that information yet. Or they might know that on average they have a certain number of people that USUALLY leave so they might feel comfortable with that number also to say that comment. Regardless, I like that they have us a glimpse of hope!
- Last comment my principal made was that she also felt comfortable saying that our staffing will remain quite normal. She wasn't worried about anyone leaving our campus, but maybe grade levels. In that sense again, I'm not sure why she would say that when she said we would have to lose 4 teachers but some are thinking that she might already know of 4 teachers leaving our campus (retiring, moving, babies, etc - our intent forms were due on Monday).

So all in all... it's still wishy washy but I like how things are starting to progress. On February 14 (oh happy Valetine's Day) the board is planning on meeting to discuss if and how they will eliminate teachers; what protocol they will take. Now that part makes me nervous because I thought we were safe, but I'm guessing that means who will stay at each campus and who might need to be relocated. Like I said, a job is a job and as long as I can teach I'm happy:)

Trust in the Lord. Have faith, do not despair. Trust in the Lord. Psalms 27:14

No comments:

Post a Comment