Sunday, February 20, 2011

A day full of Austin

Derrick has been here since Friday, which is nice because he rarely gets a full weekend off. We definitely enjoyed it to it's fullest and tried to be as "austin-y" as possible.

Friday I had a professional development day geared specifically for Kindergarten teachers. It was awesome. We had a great speaker open it up explaining the new generation.. Generation Z and how advanced their brains are at such a young age and how they can multi task better than any other generation. We then were able to pick 2, 1 hour courses to attend that we were most interested in. I went to one on environmental print in the classroom which wasn't great for the place I currently teach because it is a very basic beginning concept of reading, but for my old school and possibly a future school I teach at this was great. I then went to a reader's theater course which I really enjoyed. I love bringing acting/plays into my teaching and that was what this course was all about. Turning any book, poem, or song into a little "production" that would take maximum 5 days from start to finish. I really enjoyed it and loved how it was all geared towards Kindergarten. What I did NOT enjoy was being surrounded by 100's of Kindergarten teachers that had been teaching for 30+ years and had lost their spark. Now do not get me wrong, there are a lot of FABULOUS teachers who have taught for 30+ years... but there are also a ton that have lost their fun, their energy, and their commitment to teaching... and it well - sucked - seeing them and knowing they still had a job and my perky and energetic self did not. Eh... such as life... moving on

Friday night we went over to our friend's Will and Kara for dinner. Kara loves to test out new recipes on friends so we were her guinea pigs and it was DELICIOUS.

Saturday morning I had my first tennis match of the season. Now, I hadn't played in 12 days, and prior to that I had played 5 times in the past year... so all in all I played really well. Quite a few aces, but this woman was a gorilla... seriously... about 200 lbs and here I thought - hey I'll just make her run.. well she didn't run but she could hit the he** out of a ball. She deserved to win but I did have fun being out there. For those of you wondering... 6-1, 6-2 ... the best part was at the end the other team was saying to focus on my serve the next time I meet with my "pro"... I laughed and said I have a full time job currently, meaning M-F I don't have time to meet with my pro and I lost my job after June so I also don't have the money... but thanks for the advice. Country club ladies... my dream...

1 thing I did have on them.. they all LOVED my dress and kept asking where I got it... I got to say it is a Kids size MEDIUM hahahah and it is from the mid 1990's when I played for my country club's traveling team.. at least 12 years old maybe older

Still have the form:)

Derrick came to watch for a little bit then left to play disc golf for a couple hours. We then had a nice dinner, got some wine and rented a movie (we really wanted to rent Megamind - the cartoon with Will Ferrell because we are on a cartoon kick... ps Despicable Me is BY FAR THE FUNNIEST CARTOON OUT RIGHT NOW - but any who Megamind wasn't out yet) - we rented The Other Guys with Will Farrell and Marky Mark (sorry Mark... always gonna be that). Very far fetched but had some great one liners. We laughed which was all we wanted from it:)

Today was a great day! We decided to head outside and enjoy it! It started off a little chilly (65... I know so chilly) and really windy. As the day went on it got really hot and the sun came out. We first went to Mt. Bonnell which is an easy "hike" (just some steps but then you can veer off path and actually walk in dirt) but has a remarkable view. My mom and Darrell actually did it when they came before us.

Skyline view -- so pretty
Me with the skyline
Derrick and I

We then headed over by where we will be living and walked the greenbelt for about an hour or so. In the middle of the greenbelt in the spring there is running water, but currently it is dried up so we could walk through that part. Once it gets full of water I want to go back and take a before and after picture. Until then -- here are the befores:


Lastly, we went to Taco Deli - a crazy busy and popular local taco joint that has awesome combinations. So popular that we waited 15 minutes to order. After that awesome experience we went to Amy's Ice Cream - another "must do" in Austin that we never did. I got the Dirty Harry.. yummy coffee ice cream with heath and almonds smothered in hot fudge; Derrick got the Cookie Cake - cookie dough ice cream with oreos crushed in it.

All in all a wonderful day. We came back, cleaned out the spare bedroom, and started packing. Whoop whoop -- I love fun weekend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment