Sunday, February 13, 2011

Random thoughts

My dog is like an infant... I swear. Not only does she require so much attention and like to be held over our shoulders (like you are burping her), but she actually gets FUSSY before going to sleep at night. No lie. Around 7:30/8:00 is when she goes down for the count. We can tell because rather than her belly-napping style she goes full over on her side and doesn't move. Well, right before this happens she is always crazy whiny and obnoxious for about 2-3 minutes, then lays down and rolls on her side and is out. Just a like a baby when you put them in their crib and they cry for the first few minutes.... she is so weird.

Monkey themed things are pretty hip right now. Being that my class is the "monkeys" it has been fun to see them sport their monkey outfits, monkey hairbows, monkey valentine's day boxes, and make monkey crafts. One of my parents went to JoAnn's last week and picked up some cute crafty Valentine-sy crafts for us to make. One of them was a set of hearts in red, white, or pink, some with glitter some without, and then a tub of foamies (a teachers dream... adorable foam shapes that are easy to peel stickers --- if you are ever trying to suck up to your child's teacher buy them these - they come in ALL holidays, seasons, letters, numbers, tv shows, I LOVE THEM). Well this box was adorable because it not only had cute sayings and all different sized hearts, but it also had MONKEYS IN IT:) How cute are their little Valentine's for their parents?


I should start to pack soon.... regardless of when the condo goes through we still have to move out. ugh... didn't I just do this??

I wish once you bought girl scout cookies they would give you some sort of badge or something to put on so that they don't keep asking you to buy. I feel so guilty walking by them and saying "sorry... I already bought some". Just give me a badge or a pin to wear so they don't even ask!!

If I am still at my school next year I am planning on starting a children's book club for K-1 students. Currently there is nothing at our school for Kindergarten students to partake in after school. It will be a literacy enhancing after school activity which will help attract parents:) Here is my plan:
We will meet 1 or 2 days a week (depending on the amount of ideas we have ... probably only 1).
Myself and the other adult will pick a feature book for the month (we will pick the books for the entire length of the activity and post that so the parents can decide if their child will like most or all of the books chosen).
They will purchase the book and bring it with them each time and we will do an activity based on the book for each session. For example: in the book Pinkalicious (one of my favorites) she turns pink by eating too many pink cupcakes... so one of the activities would include making pink cupcakes. Another might be a craft based on it. And each book will be acted out via readers theater full with costumes and props. We have an old outdoor stage/amphitheater at our school that never gets used that I would love to utilize whenever the weather is nice.
Parents will pay for their child to partake in this and I would make a cut of it but most would be used for the materials needed.
It will get kids more excited about reading I think and make them more confident readers in the early stages of reading! It will also make them more confident in general by learning to speak in front of others.
Wouldn't this be so awesome!?! A children's book/theater club:) So fun!

Well... that's all for my randomness this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment