Saturday, April 2, 2011

Job interviews

This week started off kind of rough for me. I try to be as upbeat as possible and remain in the mindset that everything happens for a reason, even my job loss. When 1 door closes, another one opens... right? Okay --- how big is this door going to be?? How hard do I have to hunt for it?

Monday morning I headed to school and one of the teachers who also had been laid off I bumped into. He had a job interview on the Friday before and I asked how it went. With a big smile he said was offered the job, and another one from a previous interview that week. Two jobs!! I could not have been happier for him - he has a family with 4 little ones to feed. I kept hoping for something good to comes his way. The interview he went for on Friday he was turning down, but wanted to know if I minded if he called the principal and suggested my name. I had said that I had actually already spoken with her about another grade level position earlier last week but she was waiting to receive the go-ahead from HR. But, of course I would love any help I could get since the jobs here are few and far between!

As happy as I was for him, I felt that I was moving at the pace of a snail. Was I slacking? Not taking this seriously? Why wasn't I hearing anything and he was being offered jobs!!? (mind you, he is a male teacher and was going for the higher grades 3-5, I am K-2... mostly K, 1 - so not like we were going for the same ones). I just felt bummed, and guilty for feeling bummed and jealous of him.

After school on Monday things turned around for me. I received a phone call from the lady that he had turned down the job with about a 1st grade position. She wanted me to come in for an interview on Thursday. I was so excited. And, while trying to not get up my hopes a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Maybe this is it, I thought. With 45 more days left of the school year maybe I will finally feel that I can enjoy this and know that I have nothing to worry about.

I felt good about the interview. From what I have heard from prior interviews, I am a great interviewer. Friendly, bubbly. great responses. My principal had even called prior to my interview to put in a good word and help boost me up some more. The interview went great, but I left with a feeling that I wasn't getting the job. Wasn't sure why --- nothing pointed me that way --- but I just had a bad gut feeling. When I got home I had an email from another school about a Pre K opening, wanting me to come for an interview on Friday (it was Thursday) after school. I agreed. I was set to find out about the 1st grade position on Friday and figured IF I got the job I'd just call to cancel.

Friday came and at my planning time I got the call... they loved me, loved my friendliness, but went with the other candidate that had 8 years of 1st grade experience (can't compete against that... I have none). She wished me luck and said if she got any PreK or K openings I would be her first call.

So, off to the PreK interview I went... exhausted, hungry, and a little down. But I put a smile on my face and off I went. The interview went great. I walked out feeling... good. Like I have a better chance with this one. The interview was informal and was only supposed to be with the principal, but he had me go spend some time with a PreK teacher afterwards to look around and chit chat. As I was walking out, in another interviewee was walking... ugh... the competition when over 500 teachers have been laid off in the same district.... He told me he will be contacting me to set up the more formal interview with all of PreK in the upcoming week (actually a week from this Monday was the plan). Cross your fingers please!!

Here is the bad part to this job... PreK is on the line here. Class sizes are increasing... this school currently has 3 teachers and 1 is leaving, hence an opening. Currently they are below their numbers for needing 3 though (not sure how/why they are hiring). In our district right now PreK is a needs based program, meaning either English as a Second Language or low income. They are now allowing the schools to open it to the public for a tuition based program to fill the spots and keep the teachers. That is this principal's plan. He also said if numbers are low, he is slightly anticipating a K position opening up at the school over the summer and since I am experienced in K but interested in PreK - he saw this as a win-win situation:) Me too:)

I feel as though he really liked me and respected me. Hopefully I can impress the entire team at the next interview and be done with this mess for at least another year:) If not... I'll keep searching for that open door.

No comments:

Post a Comment