Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Puppy v. dog

Derrick and I have been having "the talk" a lot lately. Should we? Shouldn't we? Age? Color? Size?

Wait... what did you think I was talking about?

Marriage...??

Nope -- another 4 legged friend!!

This comes as a huge shock to me since 2 years ago when I began the process of looking for Mia he wanted nothing to do with it. When I first got her he said he wouldn't take her out to pee... then did and said he'd never clean up her poop... after a couple of time gagging (sp?) and almost throwing up he did... then said he'd never clean up her throw up.... and yet again after swallowing down some puke he did (weak stomach kid). He is so in love with her and she is with him. So, we started talking about getting another one.

I think it will be great to have another one because I am afraid of what Mia will act like when and if a baby ever comes along. I don't ever want to have to get rid of her due to jealousy but currently she is spoiled rotten. She's not treated like a dog, she's treated like a baby! She goes with us everywhere, knows who to run to when she gets in trouble (Derrick), and is just plain ol' spoiled rotten. I feel that another dog will help her get adjusted and provide a playmate.

Now, the biggest issue we are having is IF we get one we plan to adopt from Austin Pets Alive, the first no kill shelter here, but we are torn - puppy or dog? I want a dog... as in 2+ years, Derrick says puppy, which shocks me because they require more work and when I'm at school it would be him and 2 pups. We came to a happy medium for the time being... as long as it's spayed or neutered (we want a boy) then that cuts out a huge chunk of money so that could be swung.

So... that's where we stand. Another dog? Puppy? Age? Sex? Breed (probably a mutt - they usually are and I like that). On a side note... Mia is doing great. The infection is completely gone and she had her last urinalysis last week and has been off the meds for 2 weeks and all signs show she is in the clear. We have opted to go back to bathing her once a week to keep the area clean and also get a "sanitary cut" when she gets groomed - both suggestions of the vet!

No comments:

Post a Comment