Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shew! Busy Busy!

Man oh man! Spring time is in full force (or should I say summertime since it has been in the 90s here pretty much all week and the girl who swore she would not turn on her air before June caved... although it is set at 77 during the day it still kicks in almost ever hour! - eeekkk not looking forward to the electric bill!). I feel like I just cannot catch up since I returned from spring break. Between maintaining my class which has pure spring fever, juggling interviews and a positive attitude, having family rolling in and out of my apartment and city, getting my summer jobs/camps put into place, trying to get back into swimsuit shape (the L B's need to say G B (good bye)), I now have some mega studying going on. Gooodness! Let me break it down for you

My class: It's not surprise to any teacher that when we return from spring break the kids are off the chains! I definitely lost my coolness a couple of times but re-centered myself and reminded myself, they are only 5 and 6, they cannot win (as Charlie Sheen would state, I am a winner). SO, with a lot of "I know we can pull ourselves back together" and "remember, we are still in school and you are still here to learn" speeches, we are back to normal:) Well, we were last week. We shall see about this week. Regardless, we all know school is quickly winding down!

Interviews: This week I have 2 second interviews I am preparing for. One on Monday for a PreK position. I already met with the principal and 1 Prek teacher, tomorrow I meet the rest of the team. Fingers crossed:) On Thursday I am heading over to a private school and teaching a 45 minute lesson AT THEIR SCHOOL in Kindergarten. No, I have never met these kids. No, I know NOTHING about them. No, they didn't even tell me a subject to teach. Just... teach:) Okay... very broad for me. I plan to teach a science/literacy/art lesson on what hatches from an egg. Should be cute:) I hope I win them over. I took off the whole day on Thursday because I also have a Dr. appointment so it all worked out. And lastly, I can't say much but say a little prayer for my secret. I can only say it has to do with a job... nothing else... so just pray for "Katie's secret" and I would greatly appreciate! (I think God will know what you're talking about... he knows everything right? maybe throw in my last name if you know it just to make sure he knows who's secret!)

Family: Don't get me wrong... I complained a lot while living in NC that no one ever visited me. I lived there for 3 years and my sister came twice, my mom twice, and my aunt and cousins once. That's it. WELL TX is apparently the place to be! My mom has already been twice (Thanksgiving AND she was just here for a week), my sister came here for the past 4 days (wed-sun) and her husband, and my aunt and 3 cousins were here 2 weeks ago for a whole week. Needless to say, it was fun and nice to have company, but I am happy to be done washing sheets and towels for other people:) Mia will miss everyone greatly... she is currently in depression mode because she isn't getting oodles of attention anymore.

Summer job/camps: I have a summer nannying position set up for the month of June. 4 kids, rising 3rd grader, rising 1st grader, 3 year old, and infant (5 months... maybe). The mom is awesome and her older kids attend my school. She is so laid back and said she just wants to make sure her older kids have a great summer while there is still an infant around. She said I won't ever have all 4 (not that I'd mind... MY DREAM!!) but definitely will be having some fun with them this summer:) I am also in the works of setting up a July summer camp with a friend. It would be advertised as educational, outdoorsy, arts and crafts, cooking, theme based, science inquiry, literature rich, and a certified lifeguard. We feel that this will be a cream of the crop camp if we can get it finalized before it's too late. If not, we may take a year and sprinkle some extra fun-ness and finishing touches on it and advertise it next year.

Swimsuit shape: Derrick and I love to vacation - no news to many of you. Our plan for the summer is a possibly Costa Rica trip (not sure when but that is our plan). We need to get a big group together though in order for it to work out to stay where we want (this cute, big, villa!). Well, TX has added a couple pounds to this here girl and I need to drop them. You know how even though others say "you're so skinny, blah blah blah" you know your body and how your clothes USED to fit and how they NOW fit. Yea, time to get moving on the work-out train.

Mega studying: I have 2 tests coming up to add to my TX teaching license. My ESL certification and GT (English as a Second Language and Gifted Talented). If I pass both of these the district will pay for the tests, if not, I pay. Ugh. ESL is standard and almost everyone has or will take it. I took the crash course to help me pass the test yesterday, all day, on a gorgeous 90 degree day, from 9-3:30 in a small room with no AC and 31 people. Awesome. This week between my interviews and everything else I will also be studying. Then the following week I will begin going every Thursday after school for a GT seminar course and then take the test in May. Ack!

So... my life in a nutshell... when did I get so busy? Gracious!

No comments:

Post a Comment