Friday, April 15, 2011

Run Forest, Run!!!!

And that is just what I am doing!! R-U-N-N-I-N-G!

Derrick and I both decided it was time to drop the l b's. Perfect timing with summer coming up and vacation on the horizon (probably in early August ... I'm pretty much booked all summer and will it be awesome to have something to look forward to!)

We have really enjoyed running the trail behind the apartment. It is about 1.6 miles with all different types of terrain (sidewalk, stone, dirt, mulch) and a lot of up and down hills (some are quite intense!). We have been running 5-6 days a week for the past 2 weeks and I already am feeling so much better and am increasing the distance - up to 1 1/4 time around. Don't get me wrong, I'm still dying when it is 90 degrees outside and I'm dripping sweat with the sun blazing on me... but it sure does feel good at the end of it. I also reminded him that if he stops doing it, I'll stop doing it. We have to motivate each other.

Awhile back when I first moved here I had said that I was getting into running and wanted to run some 5K's... well... that was September and here we are, April, and I have yet to ever run one. To be honest, and not making excuses, after about 3-4 weeks of running I began getting EXCRUCIATING pain in my legs, mainly behind my knees and calves. It wasn't a soreness, more like achey. I couldn't describe it. Talking to some running friends at school they said it really is all about your shoes. You have to get the right shoe if you are going to run often.

Well, then I lost my job so I nixed that idea (okay okay... I didn't lose my job till Feb and that was Sept... I got side tracked). I told Derrick that once I got a job we would go get fitted for some new running shoes. I got my job on Tuesday, and we got fitted on Wednesday! We went to a place here called RunTex, awesome place. They evaluate how you walk and then tell you a couple different shoes to try. He said I walk on the outside of my foot and then delay rolling it back in, which would be why my legs were in so much pain. I was putting extreme tension on my leg and then snapping it back everytime I stepped - OUCH. I decided on a pair of Asics that were really well priced and he gave me 10% off just because he liked us:) Derrick couldn't get his yet because the 2 pairs he tried 1 wasn't comfortable and the other wasn't in his size. We are heading back next week for his.

I have enjoyed wearing these so much!! They are airy, SO light, and although it's only been 2 days I'm not feeling any pain yet.

We also began a huge kick on smoothies and chocolate milk. Milk (I know mom, you are gagging right now) seems to be the only thing to cool me down after a crazy hot run so I make a cup of chocolate milk the second I walk in the door. Also, since my mom was here she introduced me to what to do with over-riped bananas (which to me is once they aren't green anymore... yep I'm love bananas when they are almost crispy) - smoooothie them up! Everyday (usually my afternoon snack) I throw an old banana, 3-4 cut up strawberries, 4 ice cubes, a splash of milk (or cranberry juice today since I'm out of milk), and 4 big spoonfuls of plain non fat yogurt. Throw on the blender and within a minute I have a yummy smoothie. And I feel accomplished and healthy afterwards:) I am loving this and have seriously had 1 everyday for the past 2 weeks!

So, to say we are going all crazy healthy is so not true. We love our deep fryer, I mean love it. We love to eat good food. But do I have chips, cookies, brownies, cakes, or anything else in the pantry? No. Why? Because I destroy them in 1 sitting! So for now we are making small changes, we'll see where we go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment