Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pray for Lucy

I am an AVID blog reader. As in my usual day consists of going to school, coming home, snack, walking Mia, and then sitting down for a good hour checking up on my blogs. Some of the people I do know, others... I don't. I some how get sucked into one blog after another and pretty soon it's 10pm and I have done nothing with my night!!

I fell upon this blog through another blog that I read. I do not know the family at all, but their story is a touching one. I have added their "button" along the side of my page, "Pray for Lucy", an adorable Kindergartener (touches my heart right there) that got sick 1 day about a month ago and is now going through EXTREME radiation to fight cancer.

Children's cancer has always been something I have been interested in -- not in a creepy weird way, no, but in a way that makes me want to help. In high school and starting out in college I wanted to go into pediatric oncology and work for St. Jude's. Then, I joined Tri Delta which is a HUGE avid supporter of St Jude's and has raised millions for them. This little girl, Lucy, recently made the switch to St. Jude's and I am so happy for them. Although I have never personally been able to visit there, many of the girls in my sorority have and could not say enough about it. It is definitely on my list of places to go see and visit.

So... what can we do to help her? Pray. Read their story. Pray. I am planning on contacting my old Tri Delta chapter in OH because sometimes we will pick a specific child to raise money for. Although we don't know Lucy, her story has melted my heart. Also, I plan to reach out to the Tri Delta chapter here in Austin and see if they would want to support her. I want to help. I feel as though this is something I can do. I can support this little girl even though I have no idea who she is or who her family is. She is the age of the kids in my class, and that right there makes me want to help. You know when people say sometimes they feel God tugging at them, almost as if he is saying to do something - that is how I feel. This is my time to help make a difference and I feel it.

So tonight, this blog post is dedicated to Lucy. I know I don't have a lot of followers, but if you follow please take a minute or 2 and read a couple of her mom's posts. First, thank God your family is healthy, then add Lucy to your prayer list. This little girl has a lot of fight in her, and she has a long road ahead of her.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    PS: I totally lose all track of time and blog all night, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan!!! Now I have another blog to follow (yours) and lose track of time with:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart. What a precious post. Thanks for sharing about Lucy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breaks my heart :( I will be praying!

    On a side note, I do the same thing with blogs. I got into it when Michael deployed. Since he is in the Guard, it is hard to connect with other wives around here that go through the same thing. I started reading blogs of other military wives. I can spend hours reading them. Michael always asks whose I am reading and I tell him, but of course he wants to know how I know them. Half of them I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. I followed the link and read about Lucy's story as well. It is such a sad story and I will be sure to pray for her. Thank you.

    I don't know if you have ever been to this blog but www.71toes.blogspot.com is about a family of 7, they have a little daughter about age 4 named Lucy as well and she is suffering from a condition called Bardel-Biedel. That means that her kidneys do not function properly (meaning she gains weight like crazy) and by the time she's a teenager she's expected to be completely blind. It is such a sad story, but the family is so inspirational. If you want to get sucked into another blog, you should start following them! They are really facinating :)

    LoveLoveLove, Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Lucy's story for over an hour this morning...I cried my eyes out, such a sad story. Definitely praying for her and her family! Thanks KTB for doing all you can do to try to help this family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!!! I am so glad so many people are reaching out and reading her story. Keep the prayers coming!!

    ReplyDelete